Couple of Christmas Turkeys

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
For our family gathering on Christmas Eve I was asked to smoke the two 8lb turkeys I received from my employer.
Can't decline that request, not with 2/3s of the family expecting me to smoke birds.

I also did my Glazed Grilled Carrots for the first time for the whole family, everyone who tried them liked them.
G3ncx7q.jpg

I hardly had time to safely defrost much less air dry what with only two days, but I did get them defrosted by Sunday night.
Then I spatchcocked, injected with Tony C's 'Garlic and Herbs' and 'Jalapeno Butter' and painted with excess marinade mixed with my poultry rub.
Put them into a 350°-375° smoker over hickory, to a breast IT of 165°.
l5jFi6y.jpg

Z4jVE0b.jpg

Skin was admittedly not as good as when I give the full treatment, but still very edible.
It's the higher 350°-375° cooking temp, it better renders the skin.
J5dQQkT.jpg

EAgh1F5.jpg

It was a nice gathering, rowdy and rambunctious.
Everybody brought one or two dishes and the food was great.
Menu
Smoked Turkeys
Glazed Grilled Carrots
Crockpot Meatballs in BBQ Sauce
Lil'Smokies in BBQ Sauce
Atomic Buffalo Turds
Spicy Cheese Dip and Chips
Roasted Artichoke Dip and Pita Chips
Baguette slices topped with EVOO, honey, goat cheese and crushed pistachios
Fruit, Veggie and Nut trays
Desserts of all kinds

Last edited:
Good looking birds Chile. The menu sounded great as well. Just can't beat family and good food. Thats a Big Like.
Merry Christmas to you and your family.

8lb turkeys? Didn't know they came that small. Were they good?
Yep, they come that small, actual weights were 8.34lbs/8.72lbs.
And heck yeah they were good.
Good looking birds Chile. The menu sounded great as well. Just can't beat family and good food. Thats a Big Like.
Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Thanks Charlie, and a very Merry Christmas to y'all too.

Bang Zoom to the Moon with that cook John. Way to hit it out of the park.

Point for sure.
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky