Couple Interesting Welding Projects (Dialog & Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Huh, and here I thought you were gonna build several small water towers around your place! :emoji_laughing:
But in all seriousness...both projects look good! And seriously functional for your uses.

Ryan

That’s some very nice welding Robert, it’s amazing to see how fast your skills have developed.

Good work !!
Thank you. Took a bit of creativity but all came out well.
ran into the same problem watering the pigs using 5 Gal. pails
our son [the engineer]seen the problem and fixed it
made a water trailer with a 65 Gal. poly tank and a small gas trash pump
was a nice Fathers Day gift 2 years ago
Great story. glad you got the help you needed and it's working for you.
Nice job. Looks like a great set up.
Thanks so much.

Robert

Expert welding projects Robert. You really made the watering for Tracy so much easier. Love the idea of double decking those two units, very clever! It seems I can never get enough space around the grill when I'm using it. I bet your cart really opened up the space around your built-in gasser. No doubt the margarita helped these inspirations flow quicker to the frontal lobes
Thanks for all the kind words Matt. you're right on all counts, especially about the margs stimulating the frontal lobes :emoji_laughing:
You know....you solve a lot of problems drinking in the pool. Maybe I need one.
There is a story behind the pool, the margaritas, and the ideas. What is it that you need? A pool or a margarita?
Tig, mig, or stick, welds?
Appreciate the kind words. What I'm using is just a flux core mig welder. Space in the garage is limited so had to keep things minimalist.

Robert

Dang Robert, you’re handy as a farm kid with that welder now. Those are some solid metal projects that are very functional. Nice work.
Thank you sir!! I've managed to find a couple useful things to get done with the welder.
Great work with the welding projects, Robert.
Have y'all ever considered getting one of these for watering?
Yep, I considered those and everything else on the market. For a variety of reasons, what you showed here won't work for our application. Lots of things involved that had to be thought through before I made my final decision, and it took some time considering all the different options out there.
Wow! That is so awesome! You are a craftsman!
Thanks Jed!! Necessity is the mother of all invention :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: bauchjw
Nice work Robert.
I use a 55gal plastic drum laid down and strapped in a small garden trailer behind lawn tractor. Gravity fed with shut off valve and 20' garden hose for watering trees and plants.
Trailers are not an option here due to very tight areas to maneuver in and gravity feed won't work. Need to spray up hill as well as over 20' getting to the backs of a few of the beds. A pump was a necessity and Tracy just can't maneuver a trailer to save her soul :emoji_laughing:
I paid some guys many years ago to run some 1 1/2 pvc pipe around the edges of my property.
That would be great and glad you were able to do it. Sadly it'd cost a small fortune to do that here.
Very cool Robert , Much more economical than the thousands you talked about before. Nice set up for the back of the Husqvarna.
Thanks so much David. Word of clarification though. Both of our tractors are Kubota. I bought hers last year, 3 months after buying her a brand new Husqvarna. Yep, 3 months old, the cam shaft went out, and it wouldn't run. Turns out that Husqvarna is now using POS Chinese made Briggs & Stratton engines that are pure junk. Ours was repaired under warranty but it took over a year to get the parts in and get it fixed. Bought her Kubota the weekend after dropping the Husqvarna off at the repair shop. Soon as I got it back, the thing went on Craig's List and got sold. No more disposable tractors for us. We need reliability with all the stuff we have going on around here.

Robert

Great jobs on those Robert.
Basic metalworking and welding are valuable skills, saved money making those yourself I bet.
Thanks Chile!! No question being able to do it myself has saved tons of money, especially with all the projects I've done. Not the least of which is that cabinet smoker I built. that thing is the bomb!!
School doesn't teach you much about welding. Welding teaches you about welding
I know you're replying to Chile but no doubt this is true. My SIL however bought me a really nice book on Mig welding for Christmas. Doesn't give the hands-on knowledge but it helped to understand the science behind it and some practical tips to help with the learning curve.
Robert, if you ever need another career or a part time hobby that could make you some money, I think you've got one waiting. Nice work both, but I really like the cart...
Thanks so much Charles but I'm not looking to do more work. Actually looking to do less :emoji_wink: The cart came out really well. I'm overly happy about the practicality of it and how it all came together.

Robert

Good looking builds there Robert. Hauling water sounds rough... Ive been reworking sprinklers for about 2 weeks in anticipation of a landscaping job this fall. Somedays I really hate those sprinklers.
Thank you Dave for the kind words. Seems as though every year I spend countless hours dealing with the sprinklers in the yard and I'm with you, I hate those things. This year though no issues with them. Got them all dialed in last year and they have run well this year. As for Tracy's sprayer, that was pretty painless.
I love that cart Robert. Absolutely beautiful work.
Thank you Steve!! I seem to remember you building a really nice cart not too long ago :emoji_wink:
Some darned fine fabrications skills on display there Robert, everything looks to be well thought out and rock solid! I gotta say, the BS griddle that low would be a back breaker for me, of course there's always just sitting down in a rolling chair.
Thanks Ray!! If it turns out that the griddle being low becomes a problem it'd be easy enough to just set the thing on the counter to cook and put back when done. I could always try that rolling chair...or maybe a few Rolling Rocks :emoji_wink:

Robert

Thanks so much Charles but I'm not looking to do more work. Actually looking to do less :emoji_wink: The cart came out really well. I'm overly happy about the practicality of it and how it all came together.
Yeah, I know you're not looking for more work. If we all live long enough, there definitely comes a time when we have to slow down and you know I'm there, but fishing/guiding does somewhat fill the time left from retiring. When you decide it's that time, metal fabrication may be something for you to do. When people mention to me about retiring, I tell them to absolutely do it if they can, but they must have something to do that they like and enjoy. That cart does look great and the functionality seems perfect, I really like it...

I bought hers last year, 3 months after buying her a brand new Husqvarna. Yep, 3 months old, the cam shaft went out, and it wouldn't run. Turns out that Husqvarna is now using POS Chinese made Briggs & Stratton engines that are pure junk.

The hind end is exactly like Mona's Husqvarna, ( when we bought this place in 2012, her reasoning for me was she said if we buy house . She will do all the mowing as long as I get her a good lawn mower that is self propelled . So I bought her the Big Husqvarna) Ours is still going strong ( knock on wood ) Must be before they changed them up.

David

A man of many skills Robert. Those projects look professional.

Chris

Reactions: TH-n-PA
Huh, and here I thought you were gonna build several small water towers around your place! :emoji_laughing:
But in all seriousness...both projects look good! And seriously functional for your uses.
Water towers look good on paper but not so much good around here :emoji_laughing: You either need rain to fill the cistern, and we don't get rain, or dig a well. The well is tough because to hit water you need to punch 1000 feet through solid rock. Thanks for the kind words though. Both projects worked out well and are serving their purposes.
That’s some very nice welding Robert, it’s amazing to see how fast your skills have developed.
Appreciate it my friend. It's amazing what necessity and a bit of resourcefulness can accomplish :emoji_wink:
Robert, you are truly a Renaissance man. That’s very impressive work.
Thanks so much Sven. A good engineering background and some creativity solved the problems.

Robert

Very nice Robert! You should have welded a cup holder on the side of that cart so you always had a cold one within reach.
Thanks John!! No need to fabricate a cup holder. The tractor has one built in :emoji_laughing:
When people mention to me about retiring, I tell them to absolutely do it if they can, but they must have something to do that they like and enjoy.
Interesting you should say this. It's the exact reason I have not retired. There aren't enough welding projects needing to be done to keep me busy and the only other real hobby I have is cooking. Certainly don't need to do that all day every day :emoji_wink: I just have not come up with any ideas on a hobby that I'd enjoy that would give me something to do. Giving serious consideration to getting into building and flying remote controlled airplanes.
The hind end is exactly like Mona's Husqvarna, ( when we bought this place in 2012, her reasoning for me was she said if we buy house . She will do all the mowing as long as I get her a good lawn mower that is self propelled . So I bought her the Big Husqvarna) Ours is still going strong ( knock on wood ) Must be before they changed them up.
Glad yours is still going strong. Husqvarna used to make a good product and so did Briggs & Stratton. Not so much any more. We had a Toro push mower that was 18 years old, had cut millions of acres of grass, and it had a B&S engine on it. The thing was bullet proof and still running strong when we gave it away last year to a young couple that just bought their first house. B&S recently started having their engines manufactured in China and the quality went to Hell in a galactic basket....or so the mechanic at the repair shop told me. Makes sense though being that the quality is horrid and supporting the products is nonexistent.

Robert

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Very Nice my friend!
Thank you Keith. Now I need to build a fishing boat and come see you :emoji_wink:
A man of many skills Robert. Those projects look professional.
Appreciate it Chris. Look at the stuff up close and you can tell that I've still not perfected the art of welding. It may not be pretty yet but nothing has fallen apart so I guess it's solid and functional :emoji_laughing:

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky