Country style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buckeye02

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 26, 2020
Ohio
Stopped at my local butcher shop on the way home today to pick up some Baby back ribs. Also grabbed 5lbs of country style ribs. Ive never messed with the country style ribs. From what I've seen on YouTube I guess I'm supposed to treat them the same as I would ribs? 275° until they hit 160 then wrap and take to 195? If this doesn't sound right or someone has a better way feel free to share!

I'm thinking about trying it both ways this cook. Same with the BB. It sounds like its just preference. Ive always wrapped but I'm open to anything

Do you know what cut they are? Ive seen a lot of cuts labled as "country style ribs" can be boneless or bone in and some of the boneless are from the tail end of the loin.

Stopped at my local butcher shop on the way home today to pick up some Baby back ribs. Also grabbed 5lbs of country style ribs. Ive never messed with the country style ribs. From what I've seen on YouTube I guess I'm supposed to treat them the same as I would ribs? 275° until they hit 160 then wrap and take to 195? If this doesn't sound right or someone has a better way feel free to share!
I tend to brine mine in a simple brine of 8 cups water and 1/4 cup kosher salt and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Usually about 6-8 hours . Then season with whatever rub I am in the mood for and then smoke for 3-4 hours at 225 range. Have always come out juicy and tender. Sometimes will put on some bbq sauce at end and throw on grill for 20-25 minutes as well.

Do you know what cut they are? Ive seen a lot of cuts labled as "country style ribs" can be boneless or bone in and some of the boneless are from the tail end of the loin.
15913448464212251082822222478126.jpg
they all look similar to this. But I have no idea what cut it is

I tend to brine mine in a simple brine of 8 cups water and 1/4 cup kosher salt and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Usually about 6-8 hours . Then season with whatever rub I am in the mood for and then smoke for 3-4 hours at 225 range. Have always come out juicy and tender. Sometimes will put on some bbq sauce at end and throw on grill for 20-25 minutes as well.
I think im going to try my porkchop brine. My wife and I love it for chops.
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup Worcestershire
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2/3 cups olive oil
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon oregano

Long ago, I would marinate for a day with equal parts soy sauce, vinegar, and water, plus garlic, onion, black pepper ... then grill.
Now (with different marinade and/or seasonings) smoke similar to a butt (since usually is just a sliced butt anyway) ... also come great in the SV hot tub with a quick sear.

Exactly!!!
The ones cut from the shoulder area should be made similar to Ribs.
And the Leaner ones from the Loin area should be done more like you would do Pork Loin.
The ones from the shoulder with Bone-in are by far the Best.

Bear

Thanks for all the input guys! Hopefully they turn out. I'm throwing on some BB as an insurance policy.

just out of curiosity. This is the first slab I've ribs I've bought from a butcher. They are a
Lighter pink in color and have twice the meat you would find from a big box store. Is the color being lighter than the normal red look you get from the grocery store normal? I'm new to all this so trying to be as knowledgeable as possible means sometimes probably asking ignorant questions I guess lol

just out of curiosity. This is the first slab I've ribs I've bought from a butcher. They are a
Lighter pink in color and have twice the meat you would find from a big box store. Is the color being lighter than the normal red look you get from the grocery store normal? I'm new to all this so trying to be as knowledgeable as possible means sometimes probably asking ignorant questions I guess lol

IMO, Pink or Red is Fine!!
As long as they aren't Green or Brown, or smell bad, or some other strange color.

Bear

Reactions: smokerjim
Well everything turned out chewy and with little taste. Could not for the life of me figure out why the BB turned out this way. Then I decided to check my thermometer. When the ice water temp was 54° I figured it out pretty quickly

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky