Country Style Rib Disappointment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hurriken

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Chicagoland
Recently I smoked a bunch of Country Style Ribs. I used a new rub recipe and really liked the taste before I applied it. I smoked them about 6 hours with apple wood and water in the pan of my upright. They looked really good, they could have been photographed for a cook book! They pulled apart with a fork and everyone was dieing to try them. They tasted like nothing. I don't understand what happened. Perhaps I over cooked them? Perhaps the rub was not good? Perhaps the meat quality was lousy? We ended up tossing the leftovers(I cooked way too much on purpose). Any ideas on what I did wrong?

Don't have a clue. What rub did you use? What kind of smoker do you have? What temp did you smoke them at? Did the wood burn up? Did you take any photo's?

Hurriken,

You should go to roll call, and introduce yourself, so we can all welcome you proper.

Also put approx where you're from, in your Bio. Then let us know more about what your smoking with, like Al asked.

Then it will be easier to help you.

Bear

Hard to believe there was zero flavor...were these ribs the processed ones with a water solution?

I'm with Al also was there smoke being produced during the cook of these ribs? What was in your rub? Maybe it was a ingredient in the rub that led to lack of flavor. I'm sure someone can help you out here with more information.

Also welcome to the forum.
welcome1.gif

Checked in at Roll Call. Sorry.The rub was found online and called "Chicago style  The Smoker is a Cook N Cajun by Brinkman. It's a small upright with a water pan. I used water in the pan and kept the temperature at ~225F. The ribs were not in a solution but some had been in the freezer for quite a while. I use an old soup can that I lay one side against the coals and filled with wet apple wood chips. I stop adding chips after three hours. when the water gets low I add boiling water. Before applying the rub I coat the ribs with olive oil. After I remove them from the fire I wrapped them in foil for 30 minutes. I did not use a mop or sauce during cooking.
  • 1 cup paprika
  • 1/3 cup celery salt
  • 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons mustard powder
  • 2 teaspoons dried thyme
  • 2 teaspoons white pepper
  • 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

You night have answered your own question..... In the freezer for a long period of time......

I would get a fresh batch and try again and dont forget the qveiw...... Welcome to SMF

Check out what people above have said.  Also, keep in mind that most of what is sold as country style "ribs" are actually cut off the shoulder.  Originally they were cut off the rib end of the loin roast and they were a much better cut.  There weren't enough of them to meet demand, so they started cutting them off the shoulder and calling them the same thing.  No matter how you cut it, they are tricky and need some special attention.  Having said that, when you hit them right, they can be some real good eating.  Hang in there and keep at it!

Good luck and good smoking!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky