Country Cured Ham - From Go to Show: Q/View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mr. T - you get any more fluid coming out of that ham?  I've had two very very small droplets come down since hanging mine up in the kitchen, nothing significant at all, seems dried out pretty good and smells like heaven to me at least!

That's a work of art!!! I think I need a couple of those hanging around my kitchen!!
Thanks,  time to get started.  I have a couple extra hooks if you need them.
Mr. T - you get any more fluid coming out of that ham?  I've had two very very small droplets come down since hanging mine up in the kitchen, nothing significant at all, seems dried out pretty good and smells like heaven to me at least!
No visible moisture loss since toward the end of the curing process. None during equalization or the smoking processes.

Hey Tom, What is your plan with the ham once it's done?

Are you going to cut it into steaks?  Serve it whole, bake it? what?

Am I correct in assuming that Country Cured Ham still needs to be cooked in order to be eaten?

Thanks bud!

trizzuth, I have not decided yet how I will prepare the first ham as of yet.  I presently have two more whole hams and one picnic ham dry curing.  They are dry curing using the same country cured ham technique as was done with the first ham.   They will become country hams around Labor Day and my plan is to use the picnic ham as a tester in preparation for the larger hams. 

Dry cured country hams may be consumed without cooking after the curing process is completed similarly as the Spanish or Italian hams. The reason that the hams are soaked, cooked in liquids and then baked is to reduce the saltiness from the long curing time as the salt is more concentrated.  There are several different techniques for doing this.

As you used a combination cure (injected and a dry cure) your cured aged ham will be cured in two thirds the amount of time as a country cured ham with less possibility of bone sour and depending on the recipe should be ready to eat.

Hope this answered you questions

Tom

Hmm, interesting, thank you for the useful information as always..  I didn't go nuts with the injections when I did them, just about 3 along the bone as far in as i could get with my injector.. Regardless, my 4 months is up in July, but I will probably want to wait till the fall to attempt eating any of it, the longer the wait time, the better, right?  Plus, I'd love for you to be the guinea pig here first and post up some pics since you have multiple hams :) selfish of me, I know!

would a self addressed envelope do ?

ROTF.gif
Sure if the envelope is stamped, seeing how it would be going to Chile.

Tom

Totally Amazing! I have been taking notes. Some poor hog is grumbling somewhere and taking your name in vain I am sure.

Thank you for all the info, great pictures. If thats your home kitchen, you are a lucky man! Thats a nice set up.

Thread updated 5/20/13

Christmas Ham 2013

The ham has now met all requirements to be called a "Country Ham".

1st. It must be dry cured. Not injected with curing solutions nor placed in a curing solution.
2nd. The combined curing and equalization period must not be less than 45 days.
3rd. It must age a minimum of four months after curing.
4th. It must lose a minimum of 18% weight from fresh.

Last edited:
Tom, you dog..... What a view.... Did you purposely stage that photo op....     My next photo op will be next to sagebrush and baby's breath....   Let's have a contest..... 

By the way, the ham is gorgeous....  I got distracted by the view and "ALMOST" forgot about the ham....  
241.png

Dave

Tom,

That's one fantastic looking ham! I'm surprised there aren't bears charging in across the river trying to snatch it our of your hands!!! I don't know if I could wait another 7 months! Yumm!

Case

Totally amazing, I love that picture when its hanging in your kitchen next to your cleaver.

I want to thank you for your step by step w/ Q view because its one of the reasons I was so excited to find this site. A bacon and a country ham are on my list. Think I will test on a picnic first, that was so smart.

Thanks for sharing.

Tom, you dog..... What a view.... Did you purposely stage that photo op....     My next photo op will be next to sagebrush and baby's breath....   Let's have a contest..... 

By the way, the ham is gorgeous....  I got distracted by the view and "ALMOST" forgot about the ham....  
241.png

Dave
Thank you Dave,  Stage...me?  Sun wasn't shining in front of the refrigerator. This shot is looking West from the back deck, the pretty mountain's are looking North, but the sun wasn't right for a pic.    Contest? Okay, but I think a visit swap would be better. 

Tom
Tom,

That's one fantastic looking ham! I'm surprised there aren't bears charging in across the river trying to snatch it our of your hands!!! I don't know if I could wait another 7 months! Yumm!

Case
DS Thank you,  Bears are not uncommon here and we eat them.  We have both Black and Grizzlies (we don't eat the Griz).  The wait wont be so bad, the tester will be ready in early fall.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/140737/country-cured-hams-cured-smoked-ready-to-age-q-v

Tom
Totally amazing, I love that picture when its hanging in your kitchen next to your cleaver.

I want to thank you for your step by step w/ Q view because its one of the reasons I was so excited to find this site. A bacon and a country ham are on my list. Think I will test on a picnic first, that was so smart.

Thanks for sharing.
Foamheart, thank you,  We our certainly happy you joined us.  Hopefully one or more of my threads helped you decide to join us. What better compliment could one get?

Tom

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky