Couldn't say it better myself

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It's a sad state of affairs we have come to. In the 70's and 80's, If some A$$HOLE insulted me, you took it or fought back with words or fists. Now, hurt some Snowflakes Feelings and they run off to their SAFE SPACE to rock themselves calm while stoking their Therapy Animal and sipping a Soy Latte, smelling Aroma Therapy Candle scent!
We had no Participation Trophies. In Sports, the Winning Team got Ice-cream or Pizza and the Coach had the Losing Team stay on the field to Practice Harder! If you got a " A "on a Test, you got a Star and had the Test Posted for all to see. The rest of the kids were encouraged to do better.

What the Hell is going on with our Military?
First, Women could not pass the Physical Standards Test for Military Service, so the standard was LOWERED. Now Women are Still not Passing and some are calling for the Elimination of Physical Standards in the Military for ALL!
That should Scare the Pants off our enemies!

I look at modern Woke, Social Justice Warriors this way..." If my Words Offend You?...I've Made My Point! "...JJ

This may not have to do with the original point, but Yes they did have those Cartoons in my day too.
However I was pure country boy kid, and I was more worried about the Cat getting killed by the Skunk, because I had seen a few times what happened to a nest full of Baby Rabbits when a Skunk would find the nest without momma being home. Little Bunnies torn up & thrown around!! Not a pretty sight.

We return you to your regularly scheduled Program.

Bear

• Haha
Reactions: GaryHibbert
I've said somewhere, as a Youth League Sports Photographer for 28 years, you can trace the downfall of Society to around the time they started handing every kid "Participation Trophies". I do remember getting an A and that star on my paper. It was the best thing! Where's that mentality now?

Glad to see you post that Gary, great post.
I closed my FB account a few yrs back after voicing my opinion on a political person here in Canada . It was a little much looking back but it got me banned for a year!!!! Needless to say bleeding hearts didn't like it but I did receive a lot of positive responses.
Our lives were so much simpler in the 70's 80's and early 90's before social media became the mainstream of life. Too many bleeding hearts out there coddling the children. We don't have playgrounds made of steel or wood anymore like we used to, the sand and pea gravel has been removed and replaced with chipped rubber. Heaven forbid little Johnny or Susie go out to play and get a sliver or scrape a knee. Let alone break a bone. Parents will want to have the park tore down and want to sue over it. I pity my grandkids let alone all the other kids that are going to have to grow up in this environment. It is only going to get worse. I guess we are just to passive.

Great post Gary. I also grew up in the 50's and watched those cartoons, and never thought Pepe Le pew was anything but a smelly skunk who thought cats were skunks so he wanted to kiss them. Also Mr. Potato head toy we used a potato before the plastic version came out. Now even books and movies are being cancelled I had to buy off Ebay Dumbo cause my grandkids loved watching the original movie. Now Disney took it off their Disney plus channel. what's next we cannot watch anything that offends the snowflakes.
Sorry for the rant but it just drives me crazy this cancel culture.

Glad to see you post that Gary, great post.
I closed my FB account a few yrs back after voicing my opinion on a political person here in Canada . It was a little much looking back but it got me banned for a year!!!! Needless to say bleeding hearts didn't like it but I did receive a lot of positive responses.
Our lives were so much simpler in the 70's 80's and early 90's before social media became the mainstream of life. Too many bleeding hearts out there coddling the children. We don't have playgrounds made of steel or wood anymore like we used to, the sand and pea gravel has been removed and replaced with chipped rubber. Heaven forbid little Johnny or Susie go out to play and get a sliver or scrape a knee. Let alone break a bone. Parents will want to have the park tore down and want to sue over it. I pity my grandkids let alone all the other kids that are going to have to grow up in this environment. It is only going to get worse. I guess we are just to passive.

Hey Charlie, good to hear from you.
Miss Linda and I were just talking about this the other day. We really pity our grandchild--a white, blonde, man-child. Since he's probably going to have to fight against racial/sexual prejudice most of his childhood, I'm gonna make sure he grows up tough and proud.
We told his single mom "You certainly aren't bubble wrapping your child, but most of society is bubble wrapping theirs. So teach him right".
Gary

I'm retired from 40 years in construction. When I started "Men where men and sheep were nervous". when a young pre-apprentice came in my office crying that the guys were picking on him. I told him to knock it off and that meant they liked him and if they stopped then be worried.
I was just talking to a friend who is a electrical lineman for the local utility, who said he was explaining to a 25year old coworker that he had better buck up and work better and harder. Stop complaining about work conditions (windy and dirty) and start showing up every Monday. Well the kid got a bit offended and shot back at my friend "You had better stop it or my DAD will come down here!" After laughing for a minute he told him you know where to find me.

Last edited:
Too many bleeding hearts out there coddling the children. We don't have playgrounds made of steel or wood anymore like we used to, the sand and pea gravel has been removed and replaced with chipped rubber. Heaven forbid little Johnny or Susie go out to play and get a sliver or scrape a knee. Let alone break a bone. Parents will want to have the park tore down and want to sue over it. I pity my grandkids let alone all the other kids that are going to have to grow up in this environment.
That's for sure. I died once when I was 7 or 8 and my dad told me to get up and walk it off.......

What will happen when they see "Blazing Saddles"? My favorite movie and the ONLY movie DVD I have ever
purchased. It is still funny even after watching it many times.
BTW, I live in one of the most liberal communities in the USA....Chapel Hill, NC. I don't see any of that
"snowflake" mentality here.

What will happen when they see "Blazing Saddles"? My favorite movie and the ONLY movie DVD I have ever
purchased. It is still funny even after watching it many times.
BTW, I live in one of the most liberal communities in the USA....Chapel Hill, NC. I don't see any of that
"snowflake" mentality here.
Blazing Saddles is one of my favorite movies of all time! They'd never be able to get away with it today. I love all of Mel Brooks' movies. The Producers 1968 is my all time favorite movie ever.

Blazing Saddles is one of my favorite movies of all time! They'd never be able to get away with it today.
My friends and I have often said that. Funny how many classic movies, like Gone With the Wind, and even Disney movies, are now too sensitive to broadcast anymore. But I haven't heard anything about canceling Blazing Saddles, even though the N-word is used about a hundred times. (Richard Pryor was one of the writers, btw.)

ee9eTuz.jpg

guys like everyone posted im amazed at how times have changed. but lets be real its on here also. 14 page thread on getting a shot and still going while other threads where shut down because feeling where hurt or view points contradicted around the same subject. i read this site quit often and post some also and will continue as this site is full of talent in food, Q, and other endeavors.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky