Could use some advice - smoking chuck

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AussieSmoker91

Original poster
Jan 23, 2022
So I’ve got a chuck roast around 4.8 to 4.9 lbs that I’m smoking in the morning (it’s the middle of the night here in Australia) at about 250F. The plan is to take it up to about 170F internal then wrap in paper or foil and put it back on until it reaches around 205 to 210 to do pulled beef. Given the size of the meat and the temperature I’m cooking at, can someone give me a rough idea of how long to expect this cook to take? I don’t want to get it started too early or too late as it’s for a big family dinner.

Reactions: JLeonard
Chuckies can be one of the most ornery cuts of meat on the planet. I consider myself an experienced cook, griller, and smoker, but chuckies always surprise me. For that reason, it is about the only cut of meat I ALWAYS wrap.

You've got a solid basic plan, but it's a little too dependent on temperature. I do 3-4 hours at 225-250F to put some smoke on the meat. Wrap in foil with a cup of beef broth, then crank the heat up to 275-350F until the meat probes tender through the foil, about another 3 hours, give or take. Then rest in a warm oven until ready to pull and serve.

You can always check the temps at the wrap and tender stages, but guaranteed, they will be different the next time you do a chuckie. They are ornery that way.

Don't be probing for tenderness every 15 minutes once wrapped. Waste of heat and unnecessary worry. 30-45 minutes checking 2 hours after wrapping will tell you all you need to know. Probe in several spots and don't worry about the holes. When it ALL probes tender, you're ready for the meat to rest.

Happy Chuckie, Mate!

Ray

Ray said it pretty good.
I think you may be in for an 8-10 hour cook, at least 6 hours.
I wrap with butcher paper when the meat looks like it has the right about of bark, maybe 3-4 hours. And you can up the cooking temp a little after wrapping.

Reactions: tallbm
So I’ve got a chuck roast around 4.8 to 4.9 lbs that I’m smoking in the morning (it’s the middle of the night here in Australia) at about 250F. The plan is to take it up to about 170F internal then wrap in paper or foil and put it back on until it reaches around 205 to 210 to do pulled beef. Given the size of the meat and the temperature I’m cooking at, can someone give me a rough idea of how long to expect this cook to take? I don’t want to get it started too early or too late as it’s for a big family dinner.
Hi there and welcome! You are getting great advice.

I suggest you plan to finish 4 hours before you expect to eat. You can easily hold it 4 hours and serve piping hot.
So please please please side on finishing 4 hours early than trying to time it to finish on time or like 1 hour early, it will not work out that way.

If you plan 4 hours early and finish early then you hold it for 4 hours, no prob. If not finishing early... you have 4 hours for it to get done before you eat hahaha.

At a 275F smoker temp the entire time that cut would likely cook about 6 hours before it might be tender. So I would plan for a 10 hour cook, and thats at 275F!

Also, I think your wrap plan is good because if you wrap beef too early then it tastes like roast beef instead of BBQ beef and that is HORRIBLE when you spend all the time, money, and effort to get a roast instead of BBQ.
I wait until at least a 180F Internal Temp (IT) of the meat before I wrap because I want the flavor.
I DO wrap chucks as they are pains in the ass and I add about 2 oz water or wine or broth or whatever i have on hand when I foil wrap them.

So lets recap.
Plan to finish 4 hours early and hold the by wrapping with 3 bath towels and setting on the counter, or just put the foil wrapped meat in an oven set to 160F degrees when it is done.

It is only done when it is tender. Not by time or temp.
Do not shoot to wrap earlier than you plan and you can even consider wrapping later, but do wrap with a little liquid as chucks will dry out on you.

That's it!

Reactions: schlotz
Hi there and welcome! You are getting great advice.

I suggest you plan to finish 4 hours before you expect to eat. You can easily hold it 4 hours and serve piping hot.
So please please please side on finishing 4 hours early than trying to time it to finish on time or like 1 hour early, it will not work out that way.

If you plan 4 hours early and finish early then you hold it for 4 hours, no prob. If not finishing early... you have 4 hours for it to get done before you eat hahaha.

At a 275F smoker temp the entire time that cut would likely cook about 6 hours before it might be tender. So I would plan for a 10 hour cook, and thats at 275F!

Also, I think your wrap plan is good because if you wrap beef too early then it tastes like roast beef instead of BBQ beef and that is HORRIBLE when you spend all the time, money, and effort to get a roast instead of BBQ.
I wait until at least a 180F Internal Temp (IT) of the meat before I wrap because I want the flavor.
I DO wrap chucks as they are pains in the ass and I add about 2 oz water or wine or broth or whatever i have on hand when I foil wrap them.

So lets recap.
Plan to finish 4 hours early and hold the by wrapping with 3 bath towels and setting on the counter, or just put the foil wrapped meat in an oven set to 160F degrees when it is done.

It is only done when it is tender. Not by time or temp.
Do not shoot to wrap earlier than you plan and you can even consider wrapping later, but do wrap with a little liquid as chucks will dry out on you.

That's it!
damn, i wish i wasn't so old and could remember all this....... i guess that's what search is for.

Big point made by tallbm tallbm about not wrapping it too early. Expecting BBQ smoked beef and ending up with pot roast is not what you are after.

I think everyone has you covered. The piece is add us don’t rush it at the end. I rest mine for an hour in the Cambro (or cooler). One of the three I did a couple of days ago was still tight around 210!! An hour rest and it and the others literally fell apart pulling by hand.

Reactions: TNJAKE
So I followed my plan (mostly) and it turned out amazing. I smoked it at around 275F then wrapped it at around 175F internal with a couple pats of butter and put it back on the smoker but it’s winter here so it was struggling to hold temperature so I bought it inside, double wrapped in peach paper, and put it in the oven for a couple hours at around 300F. When I took it out to let it rest, it was at an internal of only about 197F but it still pulled easily and had a great bark and smoke ring. Thanks to everyone here for their advice, and I’ll attach a few pictures…

Attachments

• DACA4606-0F20-45EB-9237-93FAE38C4461.jpeg
    DACA4606-0F20-45EB-9237-93FAE38C4461.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 80AF4258-91B8-48DD-85D8-3C40A406DC90.jpeg
    80AF4258-91B8-48DD-85D8-3C40A406DC90.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 39
  • 0D2A7BAC-8989-493D-9DDB-EE11AD0B007D.jpeg
    0D2A7BAC-8989-493D-9DDB-EE11AD0B007D.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 40
So I followed my plan (mostly) and it turned out amazing. I smoked it at around 275F then wrapped it at around 175F internal with a couple pats of butter and put it back on the smoker but it’s winter here so it was struggling to hold temperature so I bought it inside, double wrapped in peach paper, and put it in the oven for a couple hours at around 300F. When I took it out to let it rest, it was at an internal of only about 197F but it still pulled easily and had a great bark and smoke ring. Thanks to everyone here for their advice, and I’ll attach a few pictures…
Looks great! I'm glad it came out so well. Good on ya mate :D

Thanks guys, I appreciate the love. The family loved it and it tasted incredible. I gave it a light coating of SPG then went over with a beef and brisket rub that I bought at a local BBQ store and it had the best bark I’ve accomplished so far, and incredibly juicy. I truly appreciate all you blokes (and ladies) on here who support and help us newcomers learn more.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the love. The family loved it and it tasted incredible. I gave it a light coating of SPG then went over with a beef and brisket rub that I bought at a local BBQ store and it had the best bark I’ve accomplished so far, and incredibly juicy. I truly appreciate all you blokes (and ladies) on here who support and help us newcomers learn more.
Yeah you did well. The later you wrap, the better the bark and also the flavor (IMO).

Just be sure to check for tenderness on a cut like a chuck. The Internal Temp (IT) of the meat can let you down. The meat is only done when tender and you can check by stabbing all over with something like a kabob skewer. If you get no resistance then it is tender. Take it to be more tender and it will shred apart easily.

I hope this info helps, and keep it up :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky