Costellos and tenderloins ready for smoke...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dernektambura

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Kitchener, Ontario...
Out of vacuum bags, 24 hr drying @ 10 deg C and 75% RH.... Tomorow ready for 4 to 5 days smoking.... right upper corner: duck prosciutto will be ready for this coming saturday...
20191105_160244.jpg
20191105_161437.jpg
20191105_161927.jpg
20191105_161938.jpg

• Love
Reactions: forktender
Now... what I was hopping for is for someone to ask obvious question..." how come meat is still naturally red after 10 days in vacuum pack?...
Let me answer my own question...lol...
it is all about sugar and nitrites....
Nitrites are well known to preserve natural meat redness but only to some degree.... white, bleached sugar is the buster.... sugar also preserves natural meat color .... there you go...I had to say it...lol...

Last edited:
I'm in for the learning on this one! I've been wanting to age some pork.. Costello's eh?
Please pass the popcorn!

start of first 6 smoking hours out of 6 smoking sessions with 24 hrs breaks in between smoking sessions.... mix of apple and cherry wood chips and bay leafs.... perfect smoking season start .... its snowing up here in southwest ontario...
20191106_155606.jpg
20191106_155626.jpg

Reactions: xray
ok... this is BS... I just praised God and such a fine job he is doing with low temp and snow to bust up my smoke business and now He turned snow in to the rain!?! Dear God rain is no good for your (kind of) worshipper.....Relative Humidity goes up, smoke business goes down, pay cheque goes down to to the local church too...lol.... hellooo...!

Last edited:
9 :30 pm.... out to check smoke stuff... I can smell skunk... doggie in front, 357 in a hand....loaded.... all good... no skunk, dog runing aroundstupid as always...smoke generator at full speed...all good...
20191106_212248.jpg
20191106_212305.jpg
20191106_212350.jpg

thank you guys... ues, I am one of those loosers who likes to make and know how to make "vino" but hates taste of vino...lol...
Oh my, your set up is amazing!!!
My Nonna always had dry cured pork ribs hanging in the cellar She just called them pork'o or pork. When she need a few she would hand me a big'ol breaking knife and have me go down and cut her a few off for her Sunday gravy/ pasta sauce, no sauce was complete without at least four cured pork ribs in it...Yum!!!

Man, I sure wish I lived near you I'd drink up your wine supply in no time at all. I have no problem at all drinking a bottle of homemade wine as long as it's very low in nitrates or better yet sulfate free.

I truly love your smoke house and wine cellar, I'd love to taste your food and wine.

I do a LOT of pistol and revolver shooting but I'll grab the little Henry lever action .22 cal with C.B long caps for any in the yard shooting around here. It's much more accurate than a revolver and I won't scare the crap out of and wake up the little lady.

Reactions: dernektambura
"...357 in hand..."? You can do that up in Canada? :emoji_open_mouth:

Hmm. I just did a Google search for Costello pork ribs, and found next to nothing. Now my curiosity is piqued.

Last edited:
Oh my, your set up is amazing!!!
My Nonna always had dry cured pork ribs hanging in the cellar She just called them pork'o or pork. When she need a few she would hand me a big'ol breaking knife and have me go down and cut her a few off for her Sunday gravy/ pasta sauce, no sauce was complete without at least four cured pork ribs in it...Yum!!!

Man, I sure wish I lived near you I'd drink up your wine supply in no time at all. I have no problem at all drinking a bottle of homemade wine as long as it's very low in nitrates or better yet sulfate free.

I truly love your smoke house and wine cellar, I'd love to taste your food and wine.

I do a LOT of pistol and revolver shooting but I'll grab the little Henry lever action .22 cal with C.B long caps for any in the yard shooting around here. It's much more accurate than a revolver and I won't scare the crap out of and wake up the little lady.
All of my vine (vino) are home made....
Yes good old days when cold cellars were norm in houses.... My wife calls me nut just becouse I do stick my head in smoke house during summer time and sniff around....lol....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky