Costco's vs Sam's club

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wanted to drop one or the other, but Costco has our favorite paper goods and coffee pods, and Sam's has the double pack of bone-in butts. I have never had any luck with boneless butts.

I shop at both as they are equal distance from our house. I love the self checkout at Sams and the lines are much shorter and not as crowded. The Sams club by us sells beef cheeks, tripe, tongue, and some other cuts that are not at Costco.

Beef cheeks in the instant pot are to die for.
The Sam'sclub app lets you scan and pay from your phone. No lines!

In regards to the 2 companies, its varies depending on region and needs. I have 3 Sam's and 4 costco surrounding me in about a 60 mile radius. 3 in affluent area's and the rest in a mix of lower income area's.
According to a regional produce distributor for both stores, demands drive some of content and volumes. The affluent and lower incom ag community's have less processed/frozen food and larger produce sections than does the ones located in the lower income city.

I also heard some of their products are regionally sourced for cost savings and supply availability. Its plausible that one area gets better meat than others.

Trussed boneless can be Sliced just as well as being Pulled.
Just a matter of IT.
Sliced 165°-185°
Yup , comes out good .
20171008_133512.jpg 20171009_151652.jpg

For butts go to your local independent grocery store and talk to the butcher. Everybody buys butts as cases and it’s usually not hard to talk the butcher into letting you have something close to his case price (usually much closer to $1/# than $2/#) if you’ll take the whole case. You also aren’t stuck with the cookie-cutter 7# Smithfield stuff that Sams sells. 9-11# make much better pulled pork and are very forgiving.
When I buy a case locally, it almost always comes in under $100, and it’s not too hard to rathole whatever I don’t cook in a freezer someplace.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky