Cost of making beef jerky from store-bought meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
About a month or so ago Costco had 12 ounce bags of biltong on sale for $8.95 (75 cents per ounce). My first thought was, "I can't make it myself for that price." I picked up 8 bags. It was (is) good stuff. BTW, the regular price is $12.95, or $1.08/oz for 12 oz.

So, all that got me thinking, "What does it cost me to make my own jerky on a per ounce comparison?" I decided to only consider the cost of bottom round beef I can get locally to make jerky. Regular price is $5.88/lb; sale price $3.88/lb as of a month ago.

Using shrinkage of 60%, 65%, and 70%, the cost range is as follows for bottom round:
Regular price: $0.92 to $1.23 per ounce.
Sale price: $0.61 to $0.81 per ounce.
None of that includes the cost of my cure ingredients, fuel, or equipment. But, I know exactly what's in it.

Another jerky (Trapper John) available in my area is $1.10/oz. (10 oz for $10.95).

Bottom line? No great savings doing it myself, but how do you put a price on satisfaction?

Many moons ago I was in a store in Walden, Colorado that sold jerky. They had a chart on the wall explaining the initial meat cost, handling, labor, costs of seasonings, time, and shrinkage (loss of weight) to justify the selling price. I was good with that, and their jerky was wonderful. At home, the whole experience is priceless.
66rbU.jpg

Nope. Not a cheap fix - but I loved that I could control the sodium. When I was younger I had serious blood pressure issues - thankfully my doc landed me on something in my 30's that helped tremendously and I'm no longer at as much risk of stroking out- so I made mine with little salt and less sugar. It never lasted long enough to spoil.

Plus - I could sell baggies of it at work to fund my own habit lol. Meat was a buck a lb back then of course. For a couple of years my dehydrator was on more than it was off.

I tried that Trapper John not long ago. It wasn't bad. Sam's has a 'tender jerky strip' that I think is their brand that isn't bad either but it sets off my acid reflux sometimes, so I quit buying it.

Given all the other costs the commercial jerky company has to deal with (packaging, shipping, insurance, labor, etc.), and given that Costco meat prices are not too far above wholesale, it does make you wonder how they can sell a finished product for a lot less than what it costs you. It sure makes me wonder about what grade of beef they use. Certainly not prime; probably not choice; and maybe not even select.

Reactions: noboundaries
Nope. Not a cheap fix - but I loved that I could control the sodium. When I was younger I had serious blood pressure issues - thankfully my doc landed me on something in my 30's that helped tremendously and I'm no longer at as much risk of stroking out- so I made mine with little salt and less sugar. It never lasted long enough to spoil.

Plus - I could sell baggies of it at work to fund my own habit lol. Meat was a buck a lb back then of course. For a couple of years my dehydrator was on more than it was off.

I tried that Trapper John not long ago. It wasn't bad. Sam's has a 'tender jerky strip' that I think is their brand that isn't bad either but it sets off my acid reflux sometimes, so I quit buying it.
Just curious what the docs solution was for you that worked so well. I'm on max dose Norvasc and still struggling. Pm me if you don't want to discuss here

It sure makes me wonder about what grade of beef they use. Certainly not prime; probably not choice; and maybe not even select.
I can't remember the last time I smoked or cooked a Choice grade hunk of beef. It was at least 4-5 years ago. Select is all I buy these days, but I'm selective (no pun intended). I've had Select grade tri tips, rib roasts, briskets, and bottom rounds that were as tender and juicy as "Choice or Better" that I used to see on packaging I bought.

That said, making jerky out of a Choice or Prime grade seems to be a waste of good meat and money. Same for corning beef. If I could get a lower grade than Select at a lower price for making jerky, I would.

I think market is the lowest grade beef. Basically a tired old cow that has calved 3-4 times or a bull well past prime and goes to the canned soup market or probably the dried meat makers.

BTW, the commercial Biltong packages I purchased from Costco is the lowest grade crap in my taste. I will prefer to make it myself from better grade beef

Seriously, the only hobby I have that actually saves money is roasting coffee beans. I have no expectation that I could beat out Costco Commodity Cows for price on meat.

Just curious what the docs solution was for you that worked so well. I'm on max dose Norvasc and still struggling. Pm me if you don't want to discuss here
Jake, my Dr. has helped me control my blood pressure from years past mainly by these 4 things. Has been good for past 10 yrs.

Eat bananas
Switched to skim milk
5 mg Amlodipine
25 mg Hydroclorothiazide

Jake, my Dr. has helped me control my blood pressure from years past mainly by these 4 things. Has been good for past 10 yrs.

Eat bananas
Switched to skim milk
5 mg Amlodipine
25 mg Hydroclorothiazide
Thanks bud Amlodipine/Norvasc is what I'm on as well but I take 10mg. Might have to revisit the hydrochlorothiazide

The whole Costco biltong/homemade jerky thoughts bouncing around inside my head sent me down a rabbit hole of this cost analysis and shopping for dehydrators. What size, type, Stainless, or safe Polycarbonate (is there really such a thing?)? I even calculated the square inches of the grates I use in the oven, WSM, and Kettle, subtracting area for the bricks used for stacking a couple grates. 450 inches² sums it up for 3-5 lbs of beef, though it's pretty crowded at 5 lbs.

New bottom line: I'm going to get one or two stackable 5-grate stainless steel racks and keep using my oven, WSM, or Kettle. They cost a fraction of the price of a dehydrator. Plus, I really like the jerky I make in all three. One 5-grate rack gives me 750 inches² of drying space, more than enough. Two should fit in the WSM, but that's TBD if it's even feasible.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and health recommendations.

TNJAKE TNJAKE

Verapamil 2X day 240 MG ER (tried 180 MG but that didn't cut it)
Losartan 1X day 50 MG. In the beginning it was LosartanHcl but we cut out the Hcl after a while.

Been on that combo probably close to 15 years.

EDIT: A lot of folks don't realize the havoc sugar can play on BP. Skip carbs and sugar for a week (I know.....but green beans are freaking delicious at least) and take it. You might be shocked.

noboundaries noboundaries select flats make good jerky. Plus - you can just grind the points when you get sick of corned beef and burnt ends and beef stew and beef tips and hash.... lol. I wonder where no-roll briskets could be found.....

Pro tip for everyone. Brisket points make the best stewing beef/stroganoff you'll ever eat! It's like that little bit of Denver steak on a chuck, just a little tougher, though I have tried to grill it ;)

Last edited:
Wife is on Lisonopril
She controls her carbohydrate intake due to a wheat sensitivity and overall sugar avoidance in her diet.

My systolic topped 140 so I'm due.

When chuck went to double the cost of brisket I stopped using chuck (unless it was on sale) and started using brisket for almost everything ground or stewed, unless it was clearance beef or I wanted those little nuggets of the Denver muscle for steak.

Another pro tip for everyone.......... Circled is what is folks buy when they buy a "Denver Steak". I can still get chuck every 6 weeks or so for 3.99, so often I harvest these before I grind them (and I choose my chucks based on what that muscle looks like unless selection is skimpy). Get the ones that are marbled like the picture without the X and you will really be surprised. I think it's twice as good as strip and just as tender, and is better tasting than tenderloin. I pan sear them to a tick over perfect medium rare, but still under medium (as I do most fatty meats).

I developed what is known as 'lisinopril allergy'. It's nothing major but it causes a dry little cough, and that's when I went to losartan.

1656384361478.png
1656385263473.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Trigger01
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky