1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Corned beef pastrami.

Discussion in 'Beef' started by DocSteve, Feb 2, 2019.

1. DocSteve

DocSteve Fire Starter

Figured why not.
    225 degrees
    Green Mountain Grill w/ apple.

Cubed up some for burnt ends but got tired of waiting. Looked into it and knew not to use a rub w/ alot of salt.

Attached Files:

GaryHibbert and Steve H like this.
  2. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks good did you give the corned beef a good soaking before smoking?

Chris

3. DocSteve

DocSteve Fire Starter

No, went w/ a sweet rub and apple to offset sodium instead of a soak.
    Read about it, but I like trying different things just to see how it turns out.
    I liked the final result but will try soaking next time just to see the difference.

4. zwiller

zwiller Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks good! @gmc2003 I soaked mine for an hour and rinsed a few times and feel I took too much salt out. I plan to cure my own next time but if I get a deal on CB I will only give it a short soak.

5. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That looks fantastic!
    I usually soak mine for at least 2 hours & change the water one or two times.
    Al

6. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I'm a big believer in a good soak. The first time I made corned beef pastrami it came out so salty it was almost uneatable. It's probably just the brands that are available in my area. I now soak for 3hrs minimum with two or more water changes. I can always add salt when it's done if needed but once it's smoke you can't remove anymore. I've never tried a sweet rub on corned beef. I usually just go with a pepper based rub. Sounds interesting may have to give it a go when the price of corned beef comes down. Thanks for the idea Doc.

Chris

7. DocSteve

DocSteve Fire Starter

No problem. Like I mentioned, I like to experiment. Figured go sweet, worst case, dog get fed good, lol.
    Local place had ribs on sale so I got 4 racks, good score.
    Side note. My latest smoker is a GMG Daniel Boone (non wifi) Never used a pellet smoker before so I was confused.
    I called customer service so much they sent me a new control board and upgraded it to wifi. Now if I ever get wifi, I can control my smoker on my phone.

8. I always use a dry rub when making corned beef/pastrami. No need for soaking or any of
    that, it is no different than making sausage or salami just use the appropriate amount of salt
    for the weight of the meat and it will turn out perfect every time.

Very easy to do just rub salt/spice mixture into meat wrap several times with plastic wrap or
    better yet if you have a vac sealer use that and let cure in fridge for 14 days. Then leave in
    plastic and bake in a 170 degree oven for 6 hr, or smoke if you want the pastrami flavor.

You will never want to use a store bought corned beef again. I can post a full recipe if
    anyone is interested.

Cal

9. DocSteve

DocSteve Fire Starter

Ya I wouldn't mind seeing your recipie.

10. Hi Doc
    Here you go. Let me start by saying this recipe originated due to the fact that I just didn’t want
    to fill up my refrigerator with a big tub of brine with a piece of meat in it. There had to be a better
    way, and there is.

Here is what I do:
    3# beef roast, any kind will do, I don’t like brisket because by the time you trim it down you end
    up throwing half of it away and it's not cheap to begin with.

For the rub:
    3 tbls sea salt
    3 tbls brown sugar
    1 tbls cracked black peppercorns, or just ground black pepper
    1 1/2 tsp cracked allspice, or just ground allspice
    2 tbls cracked coriander, or just ground coriander
    1 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    3/4 tsp cure #1, AKA, pink salt

And that is it, as I mentioned in my first post just mix together spices, rub into meat,
    wrap/seal with plastic, cure 2 weeks in fridge, then cook, or smoke. Very simple and very delicious.

Cal

11. DocSteve

DocSteve Fire Starter

Thanks. Its okay sitting in the fridge defrosted for 2 weeks. I do have a vaccum sealer so I would use that.

12. Braz

Braz Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

In my neck of the woods pre-packaged corned beef flats are always a lot cheaper than non-corned brisket flats. Seems strange but true. So I always buy the pre-packaged stuff and give it a good bath. My local Meijers carries a "low sodium" version so that is what I buy.

13. DocSteve

DocSteve Fire Starter

I buy whats on sale. I only cook for myself and my dog so always get what I like or want to experiment with.

14. nanuk

nanuk Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

if your phone is WiFi, you should be good to go. You phone should "Find" the smoker's WiFi output.
    You don't need any other WiFi system.

15. nanuk

funny you say that.

up here, fresh pork belly (skin on) is usually more costly than the most expensive premium bacon!

funny how that works.

16. DocSteve

DocSteve Fire Starter

Really, I will play with it and try to figure it out. Thought I needed house wifi.

17. nanuk

I have WiFi with my smoker... and it does not go through my house WiFI, only the phone.

turn it on, and get your phone looking for WiFi signals... stand next to it so you get a strong signal to start.

18. DocSteve

DocSteve Fire Starter

Awesome, will try in the AM.

19. DocSteve

DocSteve Fire Starter

Ya I don't have free wifi in my area so I can't use my phone for it.

20. nanuk

Doc, you don't need any one's wifi. Your smoker should give off a signal, and your fone should find it.
    in your setting section, go to wifi, and "search" for signals while standing next your your smoker (ensure it is all turned on) and your phone should find it.
    My temp system operates without my home wifi, and only needs a phone to be active.
    When I open my Wifi settings on my phone, I turn it on, and it will list ALL signals it can find.