Corned Beef Pastrami ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Al, when you use this method do you slice and eat right out of the SV or do remove from the SV and griddle or pan fry?

I don't sear them anymore. I just put them in an ice bath, then into the fridge overnight.
Then slice in the morning.
Sl

GOOD MORNIN SMOKERS!!!!!

Its froggy and overcast but the St. Paddy's parades are still gonna roll!

OK, I am not a trucker, but its sure gets ya blood pumpin!! One of those that if ya listen while drivin could get ya a ticket! Radar Love, any ZZ Top and Freebird come up on track, I know to remove the right foot from the pedal! Coffee's drank (added some Baileys and Tia Maria, Hey its St Paddy's!!), and the kitchen is cleaned again! So lets look whats happened!

You've seen the Mustard in the other thread! I removed the semi dry roast from the reefer! I fired up the smoker. Then I slathered that most excellent "Cajun" mustard all over it. I loved licking up the dribbles.

IMG_8690.JPG

I did say slather! My mouth is watering while typing!

IMG_8692.JPG

I could have stopped here and been happy! Buttttttttttttt

IMG_8693.JPG

This is magic rub! I made this magic rub, AND it is without a doubt the best smelling pastrami I have ever smelled. Prefect texture too. If the leprechauns and witches, druids and wee folk don't like this well there is simply no chance of that. Look at it again and imagine the perfect rub smell mixed with that mustard....

IMG_8694.JPG

My secret..... KiSS! Pepper corns, coriander seeds, and lots of juniper berries!

The bestestest thing is .........?

IMG_8696.JPG

I still have some of the mustard left. I may just mix it with the left over pastrami run and get a spoon. Its gonna be awhile till the pastrami is ready.

IMG_8697.JPG

And into the smoker at 230 to 240 degrees. Pecan is loaded in the aux smoker, but I have an oval and a new tube I could still change up. But that doesn't matter for awhile. Got the Rye flour out and gonna go get after that after I finsih here and this cup of coffee........ Hang on I'll be back.

BTW a public service announcement:: If you are making and/or rubbing pastrami seasoning either do it outside OR cook the pastrami the day BEFORE the housekeeper come and cleans the floor. All those round seeds are the pits all over the floor! You may now continue your regularly scheduled viewing enjoyment.

Lookin' good Kevin... I'm getting hungry just watching..

Yeppers, and its lookin better!

IMG_8699.JPG

Figured I made some of my honey rye bread and it is down for the first rise!

IMG_8703.JPG

Now to clean up the mess! Pffft.......

IMG_8702.JPG

Still smokin, I went with pecan cause it was loaded....LOL It is OK, I can be lazy its Saturday!

Back again soon!

Lets finish this up...... lets start with the bread. I make some kind of bread two.three times a week. I always proof my yeast, it never fails the one time in 100 you don't WAMO. so after forgetting about the bread rising for two hours I decide its time to turn it out and make a loaf.......... <sighs>

IMG_8704.JPG
Thats the first bread on the left (3.5 hours rising), and the second on the right. and an additional hour and a half more time.

IMG_8708.JPG

Ain't nothing worse than bad yeast, its just ruins your day...LOL ALWAYS Proof your yeast!

IMG_8709.JPG

I brought the chuck in at 197 because it just didn't have any fat left. It didn't start with much. The steam from the pot of cabbage, onions, tater & carrot won't hurt it.

IMG_8711.JPG

I have learned a new one, you just gotta have fat to smoke it low and slow.

IMG_8713.JPG

LOL... just wasn't my day. I hung the top of the middle loaf on the top of the oven when putting it in and it dropped like a hot rock. So one of three loaves of bread made it. I believe the leprechauns vexed me!

IMG_8715.JPG

Supper, cabbage and root veggies, pastrami w/ Cajun mustard and a honey rye bread!

IMG_8718.JPG

So we were reminded to always proof our yeast and there is probably a reason why they use a brisket and not a chuck roast. LOL....... Although its all still pretty tastee!

Last edited:
I found something else good to do with left overs this year. I made hash! I have not had hash since the service, folks in the south don't do haste. It was out frickin standing! I probably didn't do it right all I did has mince up some taters and onions a touch of butter so it didn't stick and added some chopped up pastrami. Put a lid on it like I was griddle cooking and then fried my eggs. Pretty good stuff!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky