Corn from my garden...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
It's done growing... Sooooo, I strip the kernels, freeze on a sheet pan, then vac-pack.... 2 sheet pans....
I'll bag them in the afternoon, after a good freeze...

The crop was a little slim... About 80% of the stalks has 1 ear and about 50% of those were full sized ears...
BUT !!!! It's darn good corn.... Freezes very well and tastes fresh after being frozen....
Bodacious is the variety... Best I have found...

Yellow se
220px-Three_cultivars_of_sweet_corn.jpg
The husked ears of three cultivars: pictured left to right are 'Ruby Queen', 'Painted Hill' and 'Bodacious'.
  • Buttergold, 63 days
  • Precocious, 66 days
  • Spring Treat, 67 days[11]
  • Sugar Buns, 72 days[1]
  • Colorow, 73 days[11]
  • Kandy King, 73 days
  • Bodacious R/M, 75 days[1]
  • Incredible, 83 days
  • Merlin, 84 days
  • Miracle, 84 days
  • Kandy Korn EH, 89 days[2]

corn 1.JPG

corn 2.JPG

corn 4.JPG

Would love to have corn like that Dave!
We get good white corn in the winter, but only for a couple of months & I eat it almost every day.
Al

Reactions: daveomak
Looks good, Dave. I've been there plenty of times on the yield, just can't figure it out some years. After tomatoes, growing sweet corn was my obsession for many years. Always looking for that perfect ear, just too many varieties to try them all...

I got it vac-packed... It's been all of 20 minutes and I think I had 23 packets.. Some are already in the freezer... Today is day#2 of doing this... and the last...

CORN packets.JPG

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Great looking corn Dave. Great work, like said above, nothing better than fresh Sweet Corn.

That corn looks great. Too bad there was a low yield. Our garden did not do well. Might still see a few Tomatoes yet. My Daughter got a late start...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky