• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Corn beef question, well kinda?

tjohnson

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Insider
Joined Dec 29, 2009
TQ=Tender Quick  It is a meat cure bby Morton.

I am not sure where to find #1 cure.  I thought I'd never find this TQ.

Cure #1 can be found online, and at some retail stores.  I've found it at Gander Mountain also.

I like using Cure # 1 so I can control the salt.

Todd

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2009
Maybe if you take a corned beef with the spice pack and run it through the grinder with some swiss cheese that might make enough of a binder to hold it together if it's cold enough. I guess you could stuff it with kraut and more cheese and save the dressing to put on the bread with more kraut and more cheese. I think I just might try that myself.

Last edited:

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Maybe I will catch flack for this, but oh well.  I would use cure #1 as in a smoked sausage recipe.  Using TQ in this application will make salt control very difficult.   Others obviously have other opinions.  I like TQ for bacon and such, but in a beef sausage like this, I find the salt easier to control with cure #1.  Whatever you do, let us know how it worked.

Good luck and good smoking!
Merv,

No flack for you to catch:

On paper I would think that too, but you can ask anyone who has used any of my recipes, such as "Beef Sticks" & "Bear Logs", if they were salty at all.

I never taste even a hint of salt flavor in any of my sausage recipes. In fact I even thought about adding some salt, but I never have.

Bear

Also:  The only time I ever had anything that was too salty was from the only time I didn't use TQ. It was from Hi Mt BBB cure. I think they use cure #1, but apparently too much of it.

Last edited:

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
Jeff,  I mixed up some ground meat with some  spices and cure today and hope to try it out tomorrow. I fried up the stuffer bottom scrapings and fried them up.......it might just work!

venture

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 1, 2008
Well, bear, it happens I have used some of your recipes, and nobody will ever go wrong with them!

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Well, bear, it happens I have used some of your recipes, and nobody will ever go wrong with them!

Thanks Merv,

Actually I used to think the stuff I used TQ on would be too salty, because I had no control over the amount of salt that is already in TQ, but nothing I ever made with it was too salty. It seems Morton knows what they're doing.

Now if a person has a kind of salt problem that they could be getting too much salt, even without there being enough salt to taste, then I would think it would definitely be safer to use one of the Cure #1s, because they then could nearly avoid putting any salt at all in the mix. I don't know how that would taste though.

Bear

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.