Corn beef question, well kinda?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
TQ=Tender Quick  It is a meat cure bby Morton.

I am not sure where to find #1 cure.  I thought I'd never find this TQ.

Cure #1 can be found online, and at some retail stores.  I've found it at Gander Mountain also.

I like using Cure # 1 so I can control the salt.

Todd

Maybe if you take a corned beef with the spice pack and run it through the grinder with some swiss cheese that might make enough of a binder to hold it together if it's cold enough. I guess you could stuff it with kraut and more cheese and save the dressing to put on the bread with more kraut and more cheese. I think I just might try that myself.
grilling_smilie.gif

Last edited:
Maybe I will catch flack for this, but oh well.  I would use cure #1 as in a smoked sausage recipe.  Using TQ in this application will make salt control very difficult.   Others obviously have other opinions.  I like TQ for bacon and such, but in a beef sausage like this, I find the salt easier to control with cure #1.  Whatever you do, let us know how it worked.

Good luck and good smoking!
Merv,

No flack for you to catch:

On paper I would think that too, but you can ask anyone who has used any of my recipes, such as "Beef Sticks" & "Bear Logs", if they were salty at all.

I never taste even a hint of salt flavor in any of my sausage recipes. In fact I even thought about adding some salt, but I never have.

Bear

Also:  The only time I ever had anything that was too salty was from the only time I didn't use TQ. It was from Hi Mt BBB cure. I think they use cure #1, but apparently too much of it.

Last edited:
Jeff,  I mixed up some ground meat with some  spices and cure today and hope to try it out tomorrow. I fried up the stuffer bottom scrapings and fried them up.......it might just work!

Well, bear, it happens I have used some of your recipes, and nobody will ever go wrong with them!

Good luck and good smoking!

Thanks Merv,

Actually I used to think the stuff I used TQ on would be too salty, because I had no control over the amount of salt that is already in TQ, but nothing I ever made with it was too salty. It seems Morton knows what they're doing.

Now if a person has a kind of salt problem that they could be getting too much salt, even without there being enough salt to taste, then I would think it would definitely be safer to use one of the Cure #1s, because they then could nearly avoid putting any salt at all in the mix. I don't know how that would taste though.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky