Coppa (UMAI)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rgautheir20420

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 11, 2014
Crest Hill, IL (Chicagoland)
Well since the .99 cent per lb buy at Jewel, I thought I'd give butchering the Coppa portion out of the butt and getting one going. I'm really not sure if I did it right. I watched the tutorials and all the videos, but of course my butt don't look like that other guys butt.....

All in all, I got a nice looking hunk of meat though so I'm stoked. I'm gonna pick up another full shoulder this afternoon and give it another shot. That way I can get another Coppa into the cure from a different recipe....oh and more meat for sausage.

I used the recipe for curedmeats.blogspot for this one. I'll decide to day what recipe I'll be using for the next one. Feel free to comment on the looks of the cut and any deficiencies or inaccuracies as to its look. I do know it's a bit uneven.

Starting weight of the Coppa is 1456 gram.

Very nice. This will be a first for me, so I'm excited for it. I've got 4 things curing in the fridge right now...I think the wife is starting to wonder where all her fridge space went.

Don't mention it. This time of the year (very cold weather) I am lucky my cold room is at fridge temps. The rest of the year I really have to time my meat curing even with a big a$$ fridge (with no ice maker - so I could gain more space).

Appreciate that...really! I'm happy that I was able to get a somewhat uniform looking piece on the first go. 

How was the cold smoked version? I'm picking another whole roast today, so I would absolutely be up for cold smoking the 2nd version for a comparison.

I like it (smoked). This is why I am doing two more (this time whole coppa muscles). If I do coppa (just cured not smoked) again will be just to get some nice white mold on the casing (I imagine mold doesn't like smoke).

Excellent, well I'm sold. The next version shall be smoked. Yes, the smoke will greatly inhibit the growth of the white mold. 

This is sort of funny because I was just showing my co-worker the newly started meat and he asked "Is it smoked?". I said no and he maybe...Well maybe you should.

And you will have the chance of serving coppa and the cold smoked version side by side and compare. With the other meats curing in the fridge I see a rather large charcuterie board on your dinner table soon.

Last edited:
And you will have the chance of serving coppa and the cold smoked version side by side and compare. With the other meats curing in the fridge I see a rather large charcuterie board on your dinner table soon.
Absolutely. I put together 5 lbs of the same salami recipe you'd made also about 2 days ago in the UMAI bags. They're fermenting now. The next month is gonna kill me with anticipation.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky