Cooling nights so Comfort Food

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ofelles

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 16, 2019
Brentwood CA
Made up some Creamy Chicken with Wild Rice soup with a side of toasted sour dough. Hit the spot dead center!
Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice.JPG

Yep...This the start of Soup Season for sure. Was cold and rainy today...JJ

Reactions: ofelles
That looks really good!
We are going to get a little cool weather here tomorrow, so will be making soup too!
Al

Reactions: ofelles
ofelles Thanks for the like I appreciate it.

At the ways prices are going there's going to be a lot of soup meals around here.

Warren

Man that looks great. Can we have the recipe?
JIm
Sure here ya go Slightly modified from a recipe by cookingclassy.com

Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup

Yield: 6-8 servings

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup uncooked wild rice (I used https://mooselakewildrice.com/wild-rice/ )
  • 1¼ cup yellow onion, chopped (approx. 1 small onion)
  • 1¼ cup carrots, diced (approx. 2 medium)
  • 1¼ cup celery, diced (approx. 3 ribs)
  • 1 pound Cremini Mushrooms, sliced (I added thesel)
  • 10 tablespoons butter, diced, divided
  • 2 large garlic cloves, minced (1½ tsp)
  • 5½ cups chicken broth (I used a rich home made stock)
  • ½ teaspoon of each dried thyme, marjoram, sage and rosemary (or 1½ tsp fresh, minced, of any)
  • Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
  • 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts halves
  • ¾-1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2½ cups heavy cream (modified from milk and cream)
  • 1-1½ teaspoon lemon zest
Preparation:

• Prepare rice: Wash one cup of wild rice thoroughly. Place the wild rice in a heavy saucepan with 4 cups of salted water. Bring to boil. Simmer covered for about 40 minutes or until tender but not mushy. (Remember wild rice may have different preparation times - light colored wild rice can cook in as little as 20 minutes. Dark wild rice could take 60 - 70 minutes.) Uncover and fluff with a table fork. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Drain excess liquid, if any. Halfway through the rice cooking, in a separate large pot, melt 2 tbsp butter over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, and mushrooms (if using) then sauté 4 minutes, add garlic and sauté 30 seconds longer.
  • Add chicken broth, thyme, marjoram, sage, rosemary and season with salt and black pepper to taste. Increase heat to med-high, add chicken and bring mixture to a boil. Cover pot with lid, reduce to med-low and allow mixture to simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 12 - 16 minutes (rotating chicken to opposite side once during cooking for thicker chicken breasts - if they don't fully immerse in broth). Remove chicken and set aside on cutting board to cool 5 minutes then shred into small bite size pieces. Leave soup covered over warm heat.
  • Meanwhile in a separate medium saucepan, melt remaining 6 tbsp butter over medium heat. Add flour and cook 1½ minutes, whisking constantly. Then while whisking vigorously, slowly pour cream into rouxr mixture. Whisk mixture, stirring constantly until it thickens.
  • Add roux mixture to soup mixture in pot along with shredded chicken, cooked rice, and lemon zest. Stir well and remove from heat. Let soup cool slightly and serve.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky