• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Cooling/Freezing Before Slicing

tlhiv

Smoke Blower
Joined Jul 29, 2008
About the only thing that I would prefer about fatties is that my bacon weave outer layer was crisp.  Has anyone actually cooled (refrigerated) or lightly frozen a fatty whole (which is either fully cooked, partially cooked, or not cooked at all), sliced it while it was cold, and fried up the slices to cook/rewarm them?  My thought is that this would not only crisp up the bacon surface but also have the texture of patty sausage when it was done.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
A couple ways to get crisp bacon everytime. One use thin cut bacon it works better than thick cut. Two if you aren't getting crisp bacon pre-cook the bacon then make your weave. Smoke at a higher temp. I run my smoker anywhere from 285-325 for fatties.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.