Cooler died yesterday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hoity toit

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Came home yesterday afternoon and checked the temp on my walkin cooler and it was 58 degrees and the coils were frozen solid. I lost a whole pig i had just harvested a couple days ago. Dang. I think what happened is that it rained some yesterday pm and the humidity got real high abd I guess the intake air on the cooler was saturated with moisture across the coil so it froze. I might add I usually set the temp at 36-42* with a 5 degree swing before the compressor cycles on. Maybe I can dial it in a little closer to keep this from happening. I use a Johnson Controls digtal thermostat to cycle the compressor, fan runs all the time, it s window a/c I have bypassed the temp probe and use the one on Johnson contoller. This has worked great the last5 years only icing up a few times. In the winter hardly ever have any issues. I check the temp a couple times a day by the way. Suggestions and/or advice requested folks. Got to be some refrigeration guys on SMF I'm sure

HT

Came home yesterday afternoon and checked the temp on my walkin cooler and it was 58 degrees and the coils were frozen solid. I lost a whole pig i had just harvested a couple days ago. Dang. I think what happened is that it rained some yesterday pm and the humidity got real high abd I guess the intake air on the cooler was saturated with moisture across the coil so it froze. I might add I usually set the temp at 36-42* with a 5 degree swing before the compressor cycles on. Maybe I can dial it in a little closer to keep this from happening. I use a Johnson Controls digtal thermostat to cycle the compressor, fan runs all the time, it s window a/c I have bypassed the temp probe and use the one on Johnson contoller. This has worked great the last5 years only icing up a few times. In the winter hardly ever have any issues. I check the temp a couple times a day by the way. Suggestions and/or advice requested folks. Got to be some refrigeration guys on SMF I'm sure

HT
That sucks about losing the meat. I hope some refridge guys reply, I'm always curious to learn about stuff like this :)

That is everybody’s nightmare!
Our house fridge went out at 1:00 PM on a Friday. It was loaded to the top, and we noticed the freezer temp was 20 & the fridge was 48. I live in a small town & we have bought all our appliances, tv’s, etc. from this local guy about 1/2 mi from our house. So we jump in the car & drive over. Long story short. He plugged one in right then & said he’d have it at our house by 3:00 PM. Nice to deal with locals instead of the chain stores.
Al

Not sure on your controller but ice in refrigeration is like cancer if you don’t remove all of it it grows. on a refrigerator it relies on off cycle defrost most of the time. I would defrost all the ice and turn it back on and make sure it cycles at the proper temperature, and doesn’t constantly run. Not to get extremely technical but to have a 35*f box the refrigerant has to be around 25*f so some frost is normal, but should clear up when the box makes temp, and the 35*f air flows over the coil. Some walk ins have a defrost clock that forces it not to freeze hope this helps sorry for your loss

Reactions: hoity toit
I run a similar setup. I have mine setup on a 1.5 degree temp difference and a 2 minute delay after that for the compressor to kick on. I had problems with it freezing up too until I put 2 inches of blue board insulation on the floor and the door. The floor was concrete and the door is a steel exterior door. Haven't had a problem since. I think it was running too much, not giving it time to defrost.

I run a similar setup. I have mine setup on a 1.5 degree temp difference and a 2 minute delay after that for the compressor to kick on. I had problems with it freezing up too until I put 2 inches of blue board insulation on the floor and the door. The floor was concrete and the door is a steel exterior door. Haven't had a problem since. I think it was running too much, not giving it time to defrost.
Mine has 8" floor and ceiling insulation and 4" on the walls and door.

Wished I had one in the first place! But does suck that yours died!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky