1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Cooler corn

Discussion in 'Veggies' started by buzzy, Jul 29, 2018.

1. buzzy

buzzy Smoking Fanatic

1A67A8F7-24BA-43C6-98B8-F99B7FB82D70.jpeg 763DFC6F-00EF-4A10-BD95-C5B2B1EE01A8.jpeg This doesn’t involve smoke but is great for a big gathering Huske corn like this so u have a handle Put in cooler Then pour boiling water in cooler to cover corn Shut lid for 30 minutes Put 5 cups hot water in half gallon jar Melt a lb of butter an pour in jar (yes real butter) Put jar in crockpot with water. Dip corn in jar to butter it. Depending on cooler the corn will stay hot for hrs. Thanks for looking

Ishi, SmokinAl and SonnyE like this.
  2. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Mmmmm... Fresh corn!

3. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Sounds great to me!
    Now you said Real Butter, and to me anything else is puppy pee. So Butter would be a natural for me.
    What you didn't say is what kind of Cooler to use? I don't want to warp, distort, or otherwise wreck a good cooler with boiling wa-wa.

4. buzzy

buzzy Smoking Fanatic

It was a coleman cooler. It didn’t distort it at all but it was the first time use for this. I’m thinking multiple uses might take a toll. I wouldn’t use a high priced cooler for this. The corn was still hot 6 hrs later

5. SonnyE

I wonder if a cheap old Styrofoam would work?

(At least until Buba put a toe through it and scalded his foot...)

I think your idea is pure genius for one of those little crock pots and a 1/2 gallon Mason Jar.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  6. buzzy

buzzy Smoking Fanatic

I don’t think styrofoam would be a good choice for boiling water

7. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Yup done this many times but we always floated the butter right on top of the hot water in the cooler and as you removed the corn from the cooler it got its butter coating. As you said this works great for a large party.

Warren

8. SonnyE

I was wondering if you might do that.
    Butter Fingers.... ;)

9. Ishi

Ishi Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Great tip!!! Thanks and point

10. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Use tongs to pick it up out of cooler. :rolleyes: A course you could do it bare handed and rinse the BBQ off you fingers in the process. :D

Warren