Cookshack Amerique SM066

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mychops

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 11, 2018
Been away from smoking since my move. I sold my stick burner and WSM clone.

searching Craigslist and found this for $500.
Theres not a ton of info on Cookshack smoker (their forum isn’t active). Anyone have experience with this unit? Does it seem to be a good deal?
Thanks!

My understanding is those are very good electric smokers. If it’s in good shape seems like a heck of a buy.

Reactions: Mychops
I've seen some posts on the cookshack forum about probe connections going bad for their smokers.
I think you paid a fair price for the smoker.
The Cookshack forum isn't as active as Smokingmeatforums, but they do have some activity and they do have a search function that works well. Be aware the post dates are on the lower left of the posts and are very hard to read.

Own a SM 160. Purchased used. For me it cooks/smokes great. Like any smoker you have to learn it.
Regarding the SM066 price - depending on condition and year will set the price. Beware Cookshack parts are pricey- so if the controller is bad it is major dollars.
If you can see it operate and test the temperature controls that would help set your price.
Cookshack forum has a search feature try it for sm066 info. Still many active members- just takes time for response.

I've seen some posts on the cookshack forum about probe connections going bad for their smokers.
I think you paid a fair price for the smoker.
The Cookshack forum isn't as active as Smokingmeatforums, but they do have some activity and they do have a search function that works well. Be aware the post dates are on the lower left of the posts and are very hard to read.
I haven’t purchased the smoker yet and wanted to see what SMf members say. I’ll use the search function.

Own a SM 160. Purchased used. For me it cooks/smokes great. Like any smoker you have to learn it.
Regarding the SM066 price - depending on condition and year will set the price. Beware Cookshack parts are pricey- so if the controller is bad it is major dollars.
If you can see it operate and test the temperature controls that would help set your price.
Cookshack forum has a search feature try it for sm066 info. Still many active members- just takes time for response.
I’m going to face time the person as it’s located a couple hours away.

Been away from smoking since my move. I sold my stick burner and WSM clone.

searching Craigslist and found this for $500.
Theres not a ton of info on Cookshack smoker (their forum isn’t active). Anyone have experience with this unit? Does it seem to be a good deal?
Thanks!
I bought mine in 2012 from CookShack. Great, trouble free electric smoker. Plenty roomy and a very easy and reliable digital controller. I never had any problems.A few years later, I received another electric smoker, a Smokin-it. My son wanted a smoker so I gave him the Cook Shack 066/Amerique since the Smokin-it was a gift. The Cook Shack still performs as it did when bought new. Ribs, brisket, butts, all come out great. He uses it regularly.

As for the forum: The old forum was very active and one fellow who was very active retired and moved on. Then the software program for the forum changed and it went downhill quickly.

Probes do go bad but replacements are available. Normally the trouble with the probes is in the cleaning. People get them wet during cleaning. And water gets in and the probe is ruined. It can happen with any brand smoker with probes that connect to the controller. So exercise care.

Is it worth buying? $500 is a bargain. The big question is what shape is it in? Does it work? Check the CookShack site for pricing on whatever you may need or want.

I bought mine in 2012 from CookShack. Great, trouble free electric smoker. Plenty roomy and a very easy and reliable digital controller. I never had any problems.A few years later, I received another electric smoker, a Smokin-it. My son wanted a smoker so I gave him the Cook Shack 066/Amerique since the Smokin-it was a gift. The Cook Shack still performs as it did when bought new. Ribs, brisket, butts, all come out great. He uses it regularly.

As for the forum: The old forum was very active and one fellow who was very active retired and moved on. Then the software program for the forum changed and it went downhill quickly.

Probes do go bad but replacements are available. Normally the trouble with the probes is in the cleaning. People get them wet during cleaning. And water gets in and the probe is ruined. It can happen with any brand smoker with probes that connect to the controller. So exercise care.

Is it worth buying? $500 is a bargain. The big question is what shape is it in? Does it work? Check the CookShack site for pricing on whatever you may need or want.
Sarge,
Thanks for the response. I’m going to video chat the person to get a closer look at the unit, they’ll also fire it up for me prior to purchase. This is larger than I need though seems like a great deal (hoping to get it cheaper).
Is there a way I can ensure the probe is working properly? I have a therm pro I could bring to cross reference. What’s the estimated time to 250 for this guy?

Also, the top temp for this unit is 300. Does that achieve bite through for wings, poultry skin?
Thanks again!

The controller works two ways. one is just the cook temp and time. The other way is setting to the cook temp and the desired internal temp for the meat which, when it reaches that temp after several hours, will automatically switch to a keep warm mode of 140 degrees. Depending upon the ambient temp and the load in the smoker, it should reach the cook temp of 250 in about 20 minutes. You should see smoke in 5 to 7 minutes. During your video chat, have the seller show the controller being st to cook temp and periodically go back to the controller so that you can see the temp rise. As for bite, I got good bite on ribs, and good bark on butts and brisket. As for poultry skin, it will not crisp up. None of the electric smokers produce a crisp skin. For that, a few minutes under a broiler or on a hot grill will do the trick. Here are links to the controller (video), operating manual and the wiring diagram. Hope they help!

Thanks Sarge! I’ll keep the group updated on this.
Appreciate the help!

Great insight from OS. Also don't look for a smoke ring. Can be done but not worth the effort IMO. One can add charcoal to the wood box for smoke ring affect - works but PITA.
For our tastes we preheat cooker @ 275 with wood in box for about 30 minutes +/- allowing wood to start burning. Seemed to remove a bitter taste when doing a cold start.
Wood weight(amount used) is important to end product taste - suggest start light and increase as you learn your preferences.
Side note we drove over six hours one way to view the SM 160 and don't regret the decision to purchase.
Hope you are successful in your quest for a smoker.

Great insight from OS. Also don't look for a smoke ring. Can be done but not worth the effort IMO. One can add charcoal to the wood box for smoke ring affect - works but PITA.
For our tastes we preheat cooker @ 275 with wood in box for about 30 minutes +/- allowing wood to start burning. Seemed to remove a bitter taste when doing a cold start.
Wood weight(amount used) is important to end product taste - suggest start light and increase as you learn your preferences.
Side note we drove over six hours one way to view the SM 160 and don't regret the decision to purchase.
Hope you are successful in your quest for a smoker.
Thanks for the tips! I’m not concerned with the ring as much as the end product taste. Though I am concerned with the cost of a replacement electric unit ($750).

$750 for the control unit, ouch. If kept out of the elements that will prolong life. OS might have some history on unit life. Might try CS forum for unit life.

The controller is pricey to be sure but mine/ my sons has been going strong since April 2012. No problems.

The controller is pricey to be sure but mine/ my sons has been going strong since April 2012. No problems.
This smoker is about 5 years old they said. It was for a business so I’m assuming it was kept inside and in decent shape. More photos to come!

I would be interested in seeing the photos. For a business, the smoker is rather small and I don't see it being used indoors unless it was under a range hood for ventilation. I do know that some small outfits will use this type smoker outside but under a shelter. If you are within driving distance, might be worth the trip. As an aside, a comparable smoker similar size - that is all stainless steel - with a digital controller would be the Smokin-it model 3D. 3 year warranty less the controller with is 1 year. But finding one used is rare and new they are pricey. They also have analog, as does SmokinTex, but my computer stated their website is not secure, expired certs. But look them up.

I would be interested in seeing the photos. For a business, the smoker is rather small and I don't see it being used indoors unless it was under a range hood for ventilation. I do know that some small outfits will use this type smoker outside but under a shelter. If you are within driving distance, might be worth the trip. As an aside, a comparable smoker similar size - that is all stainless steel - with a digital controller would be the Smokin-it model 3D. 3 year warranty less the controller with is 1 year. But finding one used is rare and new they are pricey. They also have analog, as does SmokinTex, but my computer stated their website is not secure, expired certs. But look them up.

Thanks! I’m hoping it was kept inside or out of the elements. I’ll post photos when I get them.
I saw a few posts about the smokin it. I’ll continue to search used models. Optimistic this CS will workout!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky