Cooking time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sheryl1967

Original poster
Jul 17, 2022
A friend and I have the same electric smoker. When cooking ribs mine are overdone and dried out in the same amount of time his are perfect. Ribs... his internal temp is 145 at 3.5hrs. Mine is 170 at same time. Only difference is I'm cooking 1 rack of ribs whereas he loads every rack. Would the amount of meat affect cooking time?

Are you saying the ribs are dry and overdone at 170 IT ?
Is he spritzing ?

Keith
Yes. His are perfect at 145 IT. Mine are dry at 170. No he's not spritzing. The only thing we do differently is i add wood chips every 30 min and for the whole time. He does it every 45min for first 2hrs. I have verified my internal temp with another thermometer. He's going to. His is older than mine.

Pork or beef ribs?
I cook my spareribs to roughly upper 190s for bite off the bone. Would go into the 200s for fall off the bone.

No wrap, no spritzing...
20220403_211300.jpg

I needed an early chef snack... but definitely not dry!

Ryan

Reactions: Sheryl1967
Are the both of you using any kind of thermometer to read the cooking temps in the smoker at grate level ? Or are you going by the smokers thermometers ??
Have any of the thermometers been calibrated (checked in boiling water for 212 degrees) ??
Somethings doesn't sound right as neither of your ribs should be done at those low temps ...

Are the both of you using any kind of thermometer to read the cooking temps in the smoker at grate level ? Or are you going by the smokers thermometers ??
Have any of the thermometers been calibrated (checked in boiling water for 212 degrees) ??
Somethings doesn't sound right as neither of your ribs should be done at those low temps ...
He's smoked ribs every time my husband's company has a get together for years. They're always extremely moist and are definitely done. Ribs are done with 145 internal temperature but they say it has to be at least 190 for the collagen to break down to make them fall off the bone done. He's double checking the accuracy of his smokers Temperature. I've already checked mine. I go by both the internal probe but I also use my kitchen thermometer to double check so that's good on my end.

Not all pork ribs are the same. Baby backs are more loin meat than rib meat. Not much collagen. Spares are filled with collagen, so they have to go to the higher temp, usually 195°F minimum. I smoke and probe my spares like I do a pork shoulder.

Loin meat, at 170°F internal, would be dry and overcooked, as you've proven. Try a lower internal temp next time. Your friend has shown you the way. Doesn't matter if it is one rack or ten, each smokes on its own.

Never had a rib no matter what type that was ready to eat at less than 190 , most of the time 200ish .

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky