Cooking on open fire - ribeye steak on swinging grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edmonds

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 6, 2020
Huntsville, AL
Cooking grass-fed Dexter ribeye steak directly over an open flame wood fire.
The open fire imparts an unique smokey flavor, absent from charcoal grills or smokers.
Using a Schwenker-type swinging grill makes it easier to cook uniformly without hot spots.
But of course it's hard to go wrong with ribeyes.

Looks great. I had a cooker like that in mind when we moved out to the country. Lack of quality wood kept me from it. Poplar and cottonwood were dominant.

Brings back memories camping and cooking over a wood fire with a tripod type grill while gathering any kind of wood us kids could find in the timber near the campground. Hard to beat an open fire!

Brings back memories camping and cooking over a wood fire with a tripod type grill while gathering any kind of wood us kids could find in the timber near the campground. Hard to beat an open fire!
I think a lot of us have fond memories like that. I wonder how many kids these days never experience such things. I remember my Dad (from New York city) didn't care for outdoors stuff, but my mom (from Texas) made him go camping and fishing anyway.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky