Cook times

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cromag

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Sevierville Tennessee
This is driving me nuts!! I have never had a piece of meat cook anywhere near 1 1/2 hrs per pound on my UDS. My temps are 250* solid and since I kind of know the rate my drum cooks I put my 7 lb butt on at 8am thinking an hour rest gives you a eat time at kick off tonight.. I am now foiled and sitting at 197*. I replaced the temp probe once already and tested it in boiling water to make sure its correct. I just now added my baby backs so my butt is looking close to being done yet the ribs are 5 hrs away from done. Why does my cooker ALWAYS cook faster than 1 1/2 hrs per lb at 250*

I looked at my foil and I double wrapped my butt with regular foil not heavy duty... could that be it? Should I wrap more to drag it out at least another hour before I towel wrap?

I found that the smaller butts take longer on my uds also, I can smoke a 10-12 pounder quicker than a 6-7 pounder.
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

Last edited:
It's hard to truly plan anything when I smoke, just for once I'd like for it to go as planned. I think I may keep the butt on just a bit then pull it. What would happen if I go to 210 or 215?

It might get a bit mushy. I'd pull at 200 and wrap it in a towel and it will keep in a cooler for many hours, just dont peak, keep the lid shut and it will hold until your ribs are ready.

Well I hope its not mushy cause I went to check and it jumped from 197 to 207 in 30 minutes so I yanked it and got it in the cooler

What meateater said. It will stay hot in a cooler for 6+ hours. Smoke the ribs. Then Pull the butt when you are ready, I've had them in a cooler for 6+ hours & they are still to hot to pull with bare hands.

icon_cool.gif

Now I would go ahead and pull it now at 197°. Then you can towel it and into the cooler and it will finish in there. Then pull it when you want to. It'll pull just fine.

The key to holding food in the cooler is to fill up all the gaps for long holds.  If you dont have enough towels handy, I have used newspaper many times. You just want to make sure that you fill it up so there is nowhere for cool air to get at the food.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky