Cook Times for Whole Chicken?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Daba's BBQ

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 24, 2021
Metro NYC
I saw two schools of thought when it comes to smoking a whole chicken. One had it hot and fast at 375 for an hour. The second was at 225 for two hours, then crank it up to 325 for 15 minutes.

Any feedback on methods would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I think it works both ways depends if you are wanting more smoke flavor or grilled flavor. I did 275 best chickens we have had but I had never dry brined or spatchcocked them. I put a the breast toward the fire and put a log in front to protect it and it was great.

Reactions: clifish
Correct, like Danblacksher Danblacksher said above, if you want more smoke flavor go low and slow for the beginning then kick it up. I also like to wet brine for 24 hours and score the skin to let the fat render out.

I just did one with the Vortex and I cranked the heat up to over 500 for the first 30 minutes to set the skin (and seal in the juices) then dropped it down to 350. Chicken took about 90 minutes and had some good smoke penetration. I do agree the lower/slower the more smoke, but IMHO chicken takes on smoke pretty quick.

- Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky