Cook time for multiple butts?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

onytay

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Southern IL
Hi,

I understand that every piece of meat is different and the time it takes to hit the IT will very from hunk to hunk. In my smokehouse smoking pork butts have averaged about 1.5hr/Lb but I have only done one at a time, I am smoking up some PP for the guys at work and Friday and will be smoking 4 butts all of which are close in weight to each other. I was wondering if I would see an increase in cook times with 4 butts than I would doing just one? I would think that the smaller smokers may be affected but even with 4 butts in my smokehouse it is by no means loaded. What do you think?

Only one way to find out.  Are you under some sort of time constraint?  What kind of smoker are we dealing with?  What kind of temps will it produce?

Only one way to find out.  Are you under some sort of time constraint?  What kind of smoker are we dealing with?  What kind of temps will it produce?
I have a 4x4x6 smokehouse, capable of temps beyond what is used for smoking. I wouldn't call it a time constraint but I only have about 3 extra hours to spare.

Onytay, I do multiples a lot ...

ad6be62c_Betty004.jpg

being (like sized) , I can Rub , Probe , place in the Smoker and let them go ; no looking till my time is at hand (i.e.-10# Butt = appox. 15hrs. ) use my senses to help - sight , watching the color and density of the smoke ,smell - to detect any off smells while cooking [bad wood -wet or rotten and / or green] , hearing for sizzling -indication of some fat burning - too hot .

Left alone with no heat or smoke problems , you should have little problems .

Note: once closed , my smoker lid does not open until the meat reaches a near done temp., thus holding a lot of cooking energy inside the cooking chamber and not lost to the World...
biggrin.gif
 , I call that part the "Love" in my "Que".

Have fun and..

In a smoker that size you will probably see little difference in time for 4 over 1...JJ

Thanks for the responses, I'll try to get some Qview up after its all said and done. Cant wait to try my new AMNPS with " Pitmasters Choice " pellets!

I have a small vertical charcoal smoker that I have to babysit a lot.  it can hold a max of 4 butts.  the difference in mine as far as time goes is it takes about 40%-50% longer to do 4 butts as apposed to 1 butt.  Of course a lot of this is due to my smoker.  with your smoker being so big and being capable to handle the extra load heat wise I think your only loss will be the extra time it takes to place and check/ mop/ rotate the butts and the added time the door will be open letting heat out.

He is some Qview, sorry it isn't very good, I missed the money shot because once I pulled them I couldn't keep everyone away! They turned out great and everyone loved them. It didn't take any longer than 1 butt would have finish. The only problems I encountered were with the AMNPS and I just need to do some tweaking there.

c6f1eac9_PP2.jpg

Ready for the Smokehouse

de36f8d3_PP.jpg

Getting foiled.

Sorry these are the only pics I managed to take, I'll do better next time!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky