Connecting the Inkbird BBQ Temperature Controller to WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Connecting the Inkbirdbbq Inkbirdbbq Temperature Controller to WSM. Hoping someone has done this. I have the adapter from the BBQ Guru attached to the WSM. Would to just leave that on and connect hose to that adapter somehow? I like the way it forces the air down. Is there some kind of adapter that would fit both"?

20220313_114742.jpg 20220313_114833.jpg

Last edited:
Does this qualify as being a Red Neck?

20220313_155152.jpg

Ready for tomorrows test. Got a rack of spares. Going to smoke half and make Bacon Sticks with the other.
20220313_155531.jpg

Going to need to come up with some kind of mount for controller.

20220313_161613.jpg

Last edited:
Does this qualify as being a Red Neck?

No quite Brian. You need copious amounts of Duct tape for redneck qualification. Good luck tomorrow, and sorry I can't help. My WSM runs naturally aspirated, no turbo charging here.

Chris

• Love
Reactions: negolien
Mine did fairly well once it was dialed than few adjustments during the cook. Than picked up the Guru for a new toy. Basically just start it and walk away. No touching for the whole cook and when do take lid off goes right back to temp. That buried wood last long time. Spoiled!

I know SmokinAl SmokinAl uses a turbo charger. I'm not sure how he controls the boost. Maybe he'll chime in next time he logs on.

Chris

Don't forget the forehead tan line from the John Deer baseball style cap.

Chris

The BBQ Guru works well and like their adapter. Inkbird has been really good to us this about the only product I don't have from them so willing to give this a shot. There been times I would of really like to have Wifi to change temp or shutdown.

Going to keep some notes for Inkbirdbbq Inkbirdbbq Off and running. Got the controller going than switched to the Inkbird wifi thermometer. When tried to go back controller it was gone. Quick set up and back again. Tried to switch from manual fan to smoker and stayed in manual. Turned controller off and back on than let me turn smoker on. Swapping between thermometer and controller no problem now. Looks like time for a new probe for the Wifi 4 probe thermometer.

Have half rack spares and since smoker not to full took some beef short ribs out of freezer. Going from frozen. Thanks SmokinAl SmokinAl . Other half ribs curing as pork belly. Made mistake getting skin on.

Attachments

• 20220314_093740.jpg
    20220314_093740.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220314_093736.jpg
    20220314_093736.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Fan was either 100 or 0 and not controlling to good like that. I pressed the image of wsm and showed 6 color circles. I pressed yellow circle then the fan started varying like it should.

Think might of figured it out. About that same time I noticed controller was showing on Blu-tooth and Wifi at same time. I turned Blu-tooth off to stop that one which might be why fan started controlling but still not sure what those color circles do?

Went back to 100 and 0 again. Went into controller menu and selected WSM again and started controlling again. WSM was all ready selected before I did this. Not sue why it doing this but does not control good when just doing 100 and 0. Maybe it has to learn?

It's been nice and steady. Fan hanging around 50%

Finished up smoke and held good to the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky