Confusion on pork butt cut...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bgaviator

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 9, 2010
Was thinking about cooking a pork butt today and all they had at Kroger were these labeled “pork steak ready shoulder butt”. Now what struck me as different than I’m used to getting is there seemed to be no blade bone that I could detect. Instead there was a small, oblong bone on one edge. I’m used to getting cuts from Kroger that you can distinctly feel the long edge of the blade bone on the end. Is this a completely different cut? Is it ok to be using for pulled pork?
0C4130B0-19A0-4681-AFD8-99F22D0575BE.jpeg

B4DF1209-A063-490A-8E33-BF9813257C1F.jpeg

They will work great, they have cut it in a fashion where it can be steaked out pretty easy if a person wanted to. same meat just a different cut imo

Reactions: bgaviator
...I just wanted to make sure it was the right cut is all. It’s not what I’m used to getting from there.

I can't tell for certain, but if its a leg bone/shank and less should blade,it's probably the picnic cut.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky