• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

condensation and the Smoke Daddy

Joined Feb 28, 2011
I have fiitted the 'PIG' smokedaddy to my wooden smoke cabinet. I am getting a lot of condensation in the cabinet and on the food. Is this to be expected?

beer-b-q

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined May 1, 2007
I have seen a lot of complaints from owners of Smoke Daddy's so it probably is...

I personally own 2 AMNS units and love them for their ease of use and low cost.   You should check them out...  http://www.amazenproducts.com/

Joined Feb 28, 2011
Thanks for your reply. I have used something very similar to the AMNS by proQ but the outout is a little low for my smoke cabinet, I can always double them up I suppose.

I was hoping the Smokedaddy 'PIG' would give me greater vulume of smoke volume with better control and duration but the wetness issue is a concern. I've read that putting a small ammount of lumpwood charcoal in the wood-chip mix will help which I'll be trying next.

Incidentally, though there was condensation the salmon fillets were still excellent!

ol' smokey

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 4, 2009
I run my Smoke Daddy with a 50/50 mixture of lump charcoal and wood. I cut these into about 1/2" sizes then load the unit and light. Also, you may need more draft to keep the smoke from lingering to long in the smoker. Hope this helps.

Joe

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
AMNS doesn't have any of these issues. If you have a really big cabinet then use two of them. You could also light both ends & the middle for more smoke.

tjohnson

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Insider
Joined Dec 29, 2009
Remember, quality of smoke is far more important than quantity of smoke.  You have to work on dialing in your smoker so you do not produce creosote.

Try drying your wood first before throwing it your Smoke Daddy.  Experiment with adding charcoal or maybe even pellets.  If you're producing moisture, you're producing creosote.

Thin Blue Smoke(TBS) = Good Smoke

White Billowing Smoke = Bad Smoke

Todd

Joined Feb 28, 2011
Thanks for these tips.

I am getting a huge volume of thick white smoke using packeted smoker chips on the lowest setting of the aquarium pump. So, as you suggest, I need to spend some time getting the mixture and flow rate finely tuned to get thin blue smoke.

Fortunately I have a reasonable stock of pellets, chips and lumpwood charcoal to play with.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.