commercial ice freezer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

warrenb

Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Mobile,AL
Hello, I have a 3' wide,7' long, 6' tall ice cooler. But the inside walls are galvanized. Anyone have any suggestions on what I could do, without totally redoing the inside..thanks

Hello Warren.  Galvanize poisoning is not very nice.  IMHO you have 2 options:  use it ONLY as a COLD smoker or strip out the galvanized.  There are arguments using the words "IF", "MAY" and "MIGHT"; I just would not risk my family and fiends health on those words.  Just my opinion.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Like Danny said, keep the temps cool...
If it works, you could make a curing chamber for charcuterie products. Curing meats like you would in a refer... Big beer/soda fridge...
A hot smoker can be made form many materials... A good curing chamber is hard to come by...

Dave

icon_biggrin.gif
  With a refer that size I like Dave's idea of the beer fridge!  Of course you should also keep 1 six pack of soda in it and maybe even 1 gallon of milk.  
ROTF.gif
  Keep Smokin!

Danny

But if I was to pull the galvanized out and reline it with wood. What type of wood should I use?

Leave the galvanized steel in and coat with 3/4" plywood or a tongue and groove wood.. or aluminum or SS or cement board or glazed tile or .......................

Hello Warren.  Dave is right.  You can cover/coat it.  I would suggest the joints be sealed just as a precaution.  Now here we go:  Being that there should be a positive air flow within the cooking chamber you may  not need to seal the joints.  If  a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his bottom.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky