Come on man quit showing off your hot dogs?😂

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
A good chili cheese dog is to die for and yours looks great Dan. But I gotta ask, where did the dog end up?
When i took the pic after the bite I was thinking the same so I took another bite and you could not see the dog again, but it was there and tasty. This was after those bites😂

Attachments

• 325C7504-1B37-4383-A315-32658BB2C627.gif
    325C7504-1B37-4383-A315-32658BB2C627.gif
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
That is a whole lot of F’n Awesome messiness! Great job, I think Chili Dogs are an art and you’ve mastered it! Thank you for sharing! Big points!

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I love my half-smoke chili dogs here in the DC area. Nobody else in the country has them, apparently.
Are you talking about Ben’s Chili Bowl or somewhere else? I’m in Alexandria and work in DC. We go to Ben’s when we get a craving, but would love to try a new place!

Reactions: Marknmd
Are you talking about Ben’s Chili Bowl or somewhere else? I’m in Alexandria and work in DC. We go to Ben’s when we get a craving, but would love to try a new place!

Hey! I don't cross the DC line often, but I've been to Ben's when my daughter lived near there a while back. They're good, but I think a much better half-smoke is at a place called Meat & Foods on Florida Ave. He makes them himself in-house and I think they are the best in the city. It's a tiny little place. You can get them ready to eat but you can also buy them raw or almost raw to take home but you have to order ahead. You can see sear marks on them even not fully cooked. Best in the city!

Half smokes used to be really hard to find in the grocery, but the past few years these have been in Harris Teeter and they are excellent IMO. Just put them on your kettle smoker and when they're done, add some chili, some onions, some cheddar, and a bun! Very tasty!

:-D

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: bauchjw
Hey! I don't cross the DC line often, but I've been to Ben's when my daughter lived near there a while back. They're good, but I think a much better half-smoke is at a place called Meat & Foods on Florida Ave. He makes them himself in-house and I think they are the best in the city. It's a tiny little place. You can get them ready to eat but you can also buy them raw to take home but you have to order ahead. Best in the city!

Half smokes used to be really hard to find in the grocery, but the past few years these have been in Harris Teeter and they are excellent IMO. Just put them on your kettle smoker and when they're done, add some chili, some onions, some cheddar, and a bun! Very tasty!

:-D
Thank you! I’ll check them out for sure!

Yes I agree the version I make has more kick and no sweet. I am with you.

Chili
4.25 (1 liter) cups water
  • 6oz (170g) can tomato paste
  • 1/4 cup (32g) chili powder
  • 1 tsp (4g) cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp (12g) garlic powder
  • 1.5 tsp (5g) cumin
  • 1/4 tsp (1g) ground allspice
  • 1/4 tsp (1g) ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp (3g) red pepper flakes
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 tsp (3g) sugar
  • 1 tbsp (14g) red wine vinegar
  • 1.5 lbs (680g) ground beef
  • 1 sweet onion, grated
Thanks I am a big skyline chili fan and crave the Coneys! I will be making this next week.

Being originally from Cincinnati, I am a huge Cincinnati Chili fan. We have made it a small goal in life to spread the joy and serve the Empress version to as many friends and guests as possible over the years, to great success!

I a glad to hear you are spreading the word and reccipe also!

How did i miss this first go around!!! I can be in Brandon by lunchtime.
Looks mighty darn good!

Jim

Being originally from Cincinnati, I am a huge Cincinnati Chili fan. We have made it a small goal in life to spread the joy and serve the Empress version to as many friends and guests as possible over the years, to great success!

I a glad to hear you are spreading the word and reccipe also!
Born and raised in Sandusky and NEVER heard of Empress just Skyline. Mind blown. Please tell me it's like Skyline on steroids.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky