coleslaw with other roots

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rc4u

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 4, 2015
when I make coleslaw I cut the cabbage then shred some turnips n rutabaga, little small diced onion n same with peppers n lotsa carrots and then spray some lemon juice over to keep color[like I do with potato n sweet potato]. and I usually make enough to fill little over half a 5 qrt pail, It lasts way longer in fridge and just add mayo salt n pepper and little cider vinegar to your serving. anybody else have some other additions?? course my chickens get the cabbage cores

I like a little celery in my coleslaw.
In fact pinch or two of shelery sheed is phantashtic! [Sean Connery voice]
Fennel root an Jicama is also good.

Reactions: daveomak
Haven't had rutabaga in years. But the rest I've put in slaw. Along with chunks of bacon. Also finely cut radishes. Quite often it will just have vinegar and oil with salt and pepper.

good ideas. I do use radish when spring roots are ready. and you gotta put 'baga's n all roots in ur pork stews. never tried fennel, but will next.

Just got back from the store. Cabbage is $1.19/lb. Gaak! It is usually $.75 but often $.59. I don't get it. I bought a package of pre-shredded slaw mix instead.

Just got back from the store. Cabbage is $1.19/lb. Gaak! It is usually $.75 but often $.59. I don't get it. I bought a package of pre-shredded slaw mix instead.
I buy shredded in a 5 lbs bag at GFS.

Daikon Radish and Celeriac (Celery Root), are tasty additions. I'm a Kimchi fan so Napa Cabbage is a fav for Coleslaw...JJ

well more ideas my grandma from outa town didn't tell me

I've never done this but now im wondering what it would be like to replace some or all of the carrots with parsnips. Ive always liked parsnips but usually cooked. Maybe could shred then blanch before adding them to the mix

If you have never tried Jicama, it's an awesome root crop...
We love it and use it for many things. Last use was this refreshing salad. One softball sized jicama cut into matchsticks, about 8 oz. of sliced radishes, one sliced red pepper and some minced fresh cilantro to taste. For the dressing 1/2 cup of avocado oil, 4 tbs white wine vinegar, zest of 2 small limes, 2 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp coriander 1 tsp pink salt. Toss and let it sit for an hour or so for flavors to marry.

We love it and use it for many things. Last use was this refreshing salad. One softball sized jicama cut into matchsticks, about 8 oz. of sliced radishes, one sliced red pepper and some minced fresh cilantro to taste. For the dressing 1/2 cup of avocado oil, 4 tbs white wine vinegar, zest of 2 small limes, 2 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp coriander 1 tsp pink salt. Toss and let it sit for an hour or so for flavors to marry.
This sounds amazing!

Reactions: jcam222
I like new ideas. my wife is salad nut and now can surprise her several times. as I cook she works.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky