Cold WSM 18

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

beerich

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
Toronto
I've not been able to achieve proper temperatures with my >10 y/o WSM 18". I've used chunk and briquettes (last night) and it just doesn't want to come up to temp. Minion method, all vents open, cleaned WSM.

Anybody got any ideas?

Cheers

Reactions: JLeonard
Is this your first cook on a new to you WSM?
Or have you been cooking on it for 10 years & it is just now doing this?
Al

What temps you looking for? You can open door some to get things going. Also what are you using to monitor temp and where?
What temps? 200-250. Normal smoking temps I used to get. It was going perfectly in the chimney. Red hot. I'm using my dome dial.

Is this your first cook on a new to you WSM?
Or have you been cooking on it for 10 years & it is just now doing this?
Al
Been smoking for 14 years. It's recently not been able to get up to temp. Different bags of lump charcoal, and this recent Kingsford briquettes. I do know lump burns hotter. Hasn't for me.

What temps? 200-250. Normal smoking temps I used to get. It was going perfectly in the chimney. Red hot. I'm using my dome dial.
Dome dial, you mean the thermometer that came with the WSM. Have you tried cleaning the probe off. After 10 to 14 years a lot of crud could be covering stem. Also is your WSM warm to the touch? It sounds like your minion method is burning to slowly, maybe start it off with more lit coals.

Chris

Yes I add a whole chimney. Even smaller starts lighting directly, it gets up to temp usually. I'm going to test the thermometer later today.

OK, I have to ask, did your food you cooked last night come out good, & did it take longer to cook? If it was good, then I would suspect the therm, as you have already figured out.
Al

It went into the oven at 250°F. It's on the rest now for a couple hours.

Well, took out the thermometer and it was covered. Cleaned her up and did a two-point test and she seems to be operating properly. I guess I'll have to smoke something soon to test her out. I'll use another thermoprobe inside the dome as well.

Update: It was the patina on the thermoprobe. I cleaned it off back when I started this thread, and she's performing now, climbing at 238 30 minutes in.

Much success. Cheers

Just an update: The lump charcoal of choice, I tried after a fully successful briquette smoke. It didn't come up to temperature. So there's that.

It was that Royal Oak small bag. Royal Oak...significantly showing small stuff...doesn't breathe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky