Cold Start

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Markmendonca

Original poster
Apr 18, 2023
Question,
I want to leave my cook in my Wifi enabled pellet grill & start it from a remote location. Will the smoke from the start up cycle negatively impact the flavors it seems pretty heavy at start up can someone please advise. Thank you

Reactions: JLeonard
I can see starting your grill remotely to have it ready when you get home (mine is WIFI, but you can't start it from the app, it has to be started from the controller), but there is no way I'd put meat on it and start it at some point later if it were possible. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: 1MoreFord
Need to be concerned with the food safety part. How long is it going to be in there before you start it and what would the outside temp be?

Reactions: DougE
And what are you planning on leaving in there ? Not that it matters as this doesn't sound good unless temps outside are down to refrigerator temps...

I would be more worried about the excess smoke that is generated at startup. Once in a while mine looks like the whole house is on fire for the first few minutes. I wouldn’t do it even if the outside temp was below 40 degrees. If it is above 40 degrees I definitely wouldn’t do it.
Al

I would be more worried about the excess smoke that is generated at startup. Once in a while mine looks like the whole house is on fire for the first few minutes. I wouldn’t do it even if the outside temp was below 40 degrees. If it is above 40 degrees I definitely wouldn’t do it.
Al
That’s exactly why I am asking it does put out a lot of smoke during startup cycle.

I don't have the ability, but it does not seem wise. Initial start up smoke can be thick, not being at house (fire hazard), food safety are all things that should be considered.

I would start it before i left and run it at a very low temp and monitor it till you think it needs kicked up, my pitboss will blow the lid up when starting if left down, not that I can temote start it but I have played around lol

Reactions: Markmendonca
Yes I can start it from the app.
Interesting whose it made by? My pitboss will let you shut it down but you cannot start or restart it if you shut it down by mistake.
Had to leave work come home and restart it once. Was showing a guy (boss) at work how I could control it remotely and accidentally pushed yes when it asked me if I was sure I wanted to shut it down. LOL

mike243 posted my biggest concern that start up smoke can ignite explosively.

I start mine all the time remotely, its pretty much the only way I do start it. I start it all the time for my wife to put stuff on from the office, HOWEVER someone is always home to verify start up etc when I do. I ALWAYS wait for it to reach temp before putting anything on it.

M Markmendonca , what a great question!
That it exactly what we are here for and thank you for asking. I don't believe it has ever been asked that I know of.
It is a safety issue first and a bad practice second. I'm like the others, I wouldn't do it even if I had the capability.
Just my .02 cents.

I start mine all the time remotely, its pretty much the only way I do start it. I start it all the time for my wife to put stuff on from the office, HOWEVER someone is always home to verify start up etc when I do. I ALWAYS wait for it to reach temp before putting anything on it.
Nothing wrong with that, or even starting it remotely when you leave the office so it's ready for food when you get home. Leaving meat on there and starting it remotely from the office would be a problem.

Reactions: civilsmoker
Interesting whose it made by? My pitboss will let you shut it down but you cannot start or restart it if you shut it down by mistake.
Had to leave work come home and restart it once. Was showing a guy (boss) at work how I could control it remotely and accidentally pushed yes when it asked me if I was sure I wanted to shut it down. LOL

mike243 posted my biggest concern that start up smoke can ignite explosively.
Just bought recently Green Mountain Grill. Thanks for the heads up in regards to smoke ignition.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky