Cold smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

columbian

Original poster
[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument></xml><![endif]

Hey, guys. Tim from WA here.

I've been hot-smoking for years and am just now looking into cold smoking. I want to get a regular supply of pork bellies and make my own bacon til I'm too old to walk out to the smoker.

I've looked at every Youtube I could find on making the gear, and today I'm looking further into the process of smoking.

But there’s one major area that I can’t figure out: Whether I use a fire, an electric element or propane, how do I control the temperature?

I've heard people recommend cold-smoking temperatures from 80 to 120 degrees, and I understand I don't want to actually cook the bacon in the smoker, lower is better.

Is there a minimum temperature at which I need to keep the pork belly as it smokes?  I live in SW Washington State, and we have 30-degree winters and 90-degree summers, so where do I place my heat source to prepare for all seasons?

If I need to get the meat up to a certain minimum, and put the fire, propane burner, or electrical element outside the smokehouse, how do I get up to the minimum temperature?

I see some guys put propane burners inside the smokehouse, but if I get that setup hot enough to keep the wood smoking, won't that get the meat too hot and cook it, just like it does in my hot smoker?

How do I control the temp of either an electric or gas heat source? Since I need to smoke for from 2 to 5 days—and I can’t imagine how good bacon that’s been in the smoke for 5 days would taste--do I keep the heat source on the entire time? And wouldn’t that burn out any electrical element, suck dry a tank of propane or require me to babysit a fire the whole time?

This is the final—I hope—piece of the puzzle for me. I appreciate any and all help.

[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles></xml><![endif][if gte mso 10]><style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ansi-language:#0400;mso-fareast-language:#0400;mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style><![endif]

Last edited:
welcome1.gif
I do cheese and butter have not done the bacon yet, under forums there is a cold smoking section and one specificly to bacon and a ton of info this should be you started - Good luck also some one will chime in soon that has done it and will help ya out

what part of SW Washington

Boy, I just finished cruising around the cold smoking forum, and am humbled.

It looks like a lot of people have put a lot of thought into these questions and come up with some good answers.

Time to get back to it.

welcome1.gif
I do cheese and butter have not done the bacon yet, under forums there is a cold smoking section and one specificly to bacon and a ton of info this should be you started - Good luck also some one will chime in soon that has done it and will help ya out

what part of SW Washington
In the hills north of Washougal.

You?

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything   .........  
[/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

ReplyQuote  Multi

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions Post it
and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is because their
are so many different ways to make great Q We all have our own taste.

I cold smoke without heat. I may need to put a little heat in it to get it to draw,

I'm in the south so sometimes i smoke at night and refredge in the day. I do bacon for

40+ hours. Look into a AMNPS

Happy smoken.

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky