• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Cold Smoking Options

louballs

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 8, 2013
Ok, so after this week's bacon fiasco, I need to find a new option for cold Smoking. Using the amazn with sawdust just isn't reliable enough with the smokin-it smoker. I can't trust it enough to leave it for more than an hour without it going out. I do not want to drill more holes in the bottom of the unit. Has anyone else figured out another effective way to cold smoke in one of these units? Their "cold smoke plate" is pretty useless in my opinion. Any ideas??

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
You can cold smoke in a cardboard box if you want to.

As for your smoker I'm not sure what the best solution would be. You really need good airflow to make cold smoking work. Can you pipe the smoke in? If so look around here for the "mailbox mod". It works well with Todd's smokers. I use his tube smokers for cold smoking and have never had an issue with them not burining. I use them directly in my gas smoker, and in the mailbox.

louballs

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 8, 2013
I'll check that out. I was looking for a way to be able to pipe some in thru the bottom vent. Was considering attempting to build one myself, but was wondering if anyone has built something similar already.

louballs

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 8, 2013
I'm going to give that shot and feed a tube into the bottom of the unit. I'm hoping enough air flow will go thru as the drip hole on the bottom is fairly small.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.