cold smoking in smoke hollow 38 gasser

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yep, I used the Amazen expanding tube in my SH38 back in January for my first try at cheese.

See thread:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/257649/first-ever-cheese#post_1658396

I have a cast iron skillet in the bottom of my SH38 where the chip tray used to be.

I put a couple of wood chunks in the skillet and put the tube up on the chunks to raise it off the bottom of the skillet a little so it gets better airflow, while the skillet still catches the ash.

Good luck!

slysmoke very interesting how big is the cast iron pan and where does it sit or do you have it suspened like the old chip tray?

Though the AMNTS was designed mainly for propane smokers during hot smoking, you need to be careful using one when cold smoking for if you fill the tube up with pellets, it will generate way too much smoke.  Not the TBS as desired.  When I use my AMNTS for cold smoking, I will fill the tube up maybe 1/3rd full, then when laying it down horizontally, shake it sideways.  It ends up with a small layer of pellets along the bottom. Otherwise, I use one of my AMNPS trays.

The cast iron skillet is a trick I did a couple years ago for my gasser.  It helps spread the heat from the burner more equally around the smoker as well as improving better air flow.

Last edited:
The skillet I used was a 12 inch, it sits on a grate with 1 inch legs that was left over from the side burner of an old grill.

Before that I had placed a piece of steel angle on either side of the burner hole to set the skillet on. The chip tray supports were not strong enough for the weight of the skillet.

What Cmayna says makes sense, my first smoked cheese came out pretty strong using a full tube, though it is mellowing a little after a month.

SlySmoke any chance you could take a picture of your cast iron skillet inside your SH38 ?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky