cold smoking BBB

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eman

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 3, 2009
I have the mes 40 and will use a smoke generator to cold smoke with.

My??? is. With outside air temps upper 50s to upper 60s and the butts cured 16 days w/ the proper ammounts of TQ, is there a time limit that i should follow when cold smoking the BBB? Or can i just let it smoke tilli feel i have enough smoke? I will be slicing and freezing  then cooking to safe temp when ready to eat it.

I have the mes 40 and will use a smoke generator to cold smoke with.

My??? is. With outside air temps upper 50s to upper 60s and the butts cured 16 days w/ the proper ammounts of TQ, is there a time limit that i should follow when cold smoking the BBB? Or can i just let it smoke tilli feel i have enough smoke? I will be slicing and freezing  then cooking to safe temp when ready to eat it.
This should give your some answers hope it helps  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/66969/26-hour-10-lb-slab-of-side-bacon-smoke

You can smoke as long as it takes. Don't watch the clock watch the color of the bacon

I cold smoke bacon about 6 1/2 hours.  Plenty of smoke for me. The quality of smoke has a lot to do with it.  Wispy smoke for 20 hours is good, but billowing white smoke is bad.  I smoked to 11 hours, and the bacon was oversmoked for me.

Color should start about hour 5.

When it's cold out, I preheat my MES to 100° and then turn it off.  If it drops below 70°, I turn it back on to 100°.  Your MES 40 should hold temp for about 2 hours.

Some guys run the internal temp up to 120°.  I used to do it this way, but like cold smoke under 100° better.

Todd

Last edited:
Why do i need to run the mes at all??

Don't need it for the smoke .   Do i need some heat?

In my book---as long as you want.

One of my Dried Beef recipes calls for smoking it for days---I think I got it from Rytek.

I go for color, and cold smoking takes a lot longer than warm smoking.

Can't wait for the Qview, Bob,

Bear

You don't, especially down South, where it's above Zero.

Bear

Thanks Bear,

i keep forgetting that it's still winter up there where y'all live. LOL

Haven't decided if i'm going to smoke tomorrow or saturday. Stripers are running so i may fish tomorrow (less folks fishing on friday)

Why do i need to run the mes at all??

Don't need it for the smoke .   Do i need some heat?
Sorry, I misread your ambient temps.

You don't need heat with 50's and 60's for temps.

TJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky