Cold smoking bacon question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
I'm sure this question has been answered. But can't seem to find it. What would you consider to be the max ambient temp. when cold smoking bacon. I have a slab ready to go tomorrow. And it'll 84. Think it'll be ok at this temp? I'm using my mailbox for smoke. And thinking on using apple dust to help keep the heat down a bit more.

Yep all good responses. I try and keep it at 80, but if it goes a little higher its ok as long as it's cured properly. I've got some corn cob bacon going right now, I just pulled it to rest in the cooler during the heat of the day, and will put it back on around 3-4 this afternoon.

Reactions: Winterrider
A pan of ice or frozen wat Er bottles will help, but you want to keep the smoker temp below 100, preferably 90 degrees.
Al

Reactions: Steve H
I like cold smoking in the fall so I can easily dial in 50° to 70°, and I'll cold smoke 4 or 5 hours per day for two consecutive days. But, I just did a daveomak daveomak ham and started about 5 am. I was able to hold 90° to 100° for 6 hours, and I did use a water pan.

Reactions: sawhorseray
I like cold smoking in the fall so I can easily dial in 50° to 70°, and I'll cold smoke 4 or 5 hours per day for two consecutive days. But, I just did a daveomak daveomak ham and started about 5 am. I was able to hold 90° to 100° for 6 hours, and I did use a water pan.

Yeah, living in the dessert area limits what you can do and when you can do it. It was 86º when I got out of bed at five this morning, too hot to even bring my dog to the park for a run. I'm smoking a rack of spares right now in my Pro 100 electric because I didn't want to have to babysit my stick burner all day, it's 106º in the shade of my patio right now around 1:30. Been in the pool a lot today, actually, every day for the last six weeks. RAY

I live at 5400'.....,So cool mornings happen each day. But Wyoming is actually a high plains desert. It's not all Jellystone and Teton National Park. Breaking 100° happens, but rare. A backyard pool would be handy, and could double as a skating rink from December to March. :emoji_sunglasses:

I know Wyoming fairly well, we fish Flaming Gorge on that side every summer. And yes it does get hot there, at least around Green River. Way way way too cold for my old arthritic hands, shoulders, and back during winter. It hurts here in AZ, I'd hate to think of the pain there. RAY

Got up early....again. Bacon has been in the smoker for 2 hours now. Going for 12 hours of smoke.

After 18 hours of smoke and let it set 2 days.

bacon.jpg

And of course I just had to cook up the trimmings!

20200715_095056.jpg

Nice flavor. Deep smoky taste with this I've only gone 12 hours before. 18 hours makes a huge difference.

Wow Steve , looks delicious. Wish I could get some belly around here and try it. Have only done BBB

Wow Steve , looks delicious. Wish I could get some belly around here and try it. Have only done BBB
Not sure what you have for stores in your area but maybe ask if they could get some in. One of our local stores never had them but told me they could get some in, take about two weeks. Since then they carry them on a pretty regular basis.

Ryan

Reactions: Winterrider
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky