Cold Smoking and Oven SS question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandedDux

Original poster
Jun 21, 2020
The auger in my Traeger quit working just when I got my order from PS seasonings to make a bunch of venison summer sausage. I have an A-Maze-N pellet tube. I wondered if anyone has tried or thought it would be possible to cold smoke the SS for several hours and then move them to the oven for the actual cooking?

BD, It can be done as long as your oven will stay AT or below 170*. I have done it in the past when my smoker was full ,set your oven at the lowest temp and use a thermometer to see if it reads low enough. The higher temps will cause the fat to run out of your VSS. I hate to admit it :) but I have made VSS with liquid smoke and the oven when my smoker had died and I was too broke to buy a new one.

Will a few hours of smoking with just the A-maze-n smoker provide enough smoke to make a difference?

I smoke my SS for 4-6 hours cold with my a-maze-n. I think it’s perfect for SS, though things I like with heavier smoke levels take more time.

Jbo

I do SS and jerky often in my oven. I just set it to 170 degrees. And use a wooden spatula to prop the door open slightly. That way the moisture can escape.
I just did 6 pounds of jerky today in the oven today. Came out great.

OI000039.jpg

As others have said you can do it... BUT ... in order for the smoke to stick to the casings you must first make sure they (the casings) are dry ... We are also assuming you will be using cure #1 in your recipe to do all this safely ...

As others have said you can do it... BUT ... in order for the smoke to stick to the casings you must first make sure they (the casings) are dry ... We are also assuming you will be using cure #1 in your recipe to do all this safely ...
Yes there will be cure in them. Thank you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky