Cold smoked turkey burger taco salad

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
A while back when it was 20°f degrees outside I took advantage of the cold temps and cold smoked some meat. Smoked some pork chops, a few steaks, an a couple pounds of ground turkey. I was craving tacos and settled on taco salad. The turkey burger was smoked with apple pellets using one of the Amazing tube smokers. I smoked it for two hours. The pit temp hovered around 36°f. Out side temp was 29°f. After smoking I vac packed and froze for use later.

We usually make our own tortillas. Unfortunately things have been too busy so we have been using store bought. I decided to make tortilla bowls so we could have taco salad. These are simple to make. You'll want to use 8"-12" tortillas. Flour works best but you can use corn, wheat, spinach,etc. You will need a oven proof bowl or ramekin and tinfoil. You can make hard taco shells this way too, just shape accordingly. Preheat oven to 375°f. While oven is preheating brush both sides of tortilla with your oil of choice (I used olive this batch). Make sure its just a light coating. Season both sides of the oiled tortilla. I used chile powder, onion powder and garlic powder. Taco seasoning is good, as is ranch seasoning, finely ground Doritos, whatever you like. On a sheet pan invert your ramekin or bowl. Lay tortilla over bowl. Place tin foil (if not using heavy duty use double layer) over and shape tortilla to bowl. Turn over and place on baking sheet. Place in preheated oven and bake 10-20 minutes. Carefully remove ramekin or bowl allow to bake another 5-10 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Sometimes during the last cook time I will remove them from the foil if they aren't crisping fast enough.

49612111172_502c96fe75_c.jpg

Wheat tortilla on left, Flour tortilla on left. Oiled, seasoned, shaped ready for the oven.

49612110532_b055b841f6_c.jpg

Out of the oven ready for filling. Wheat on left flour on right.

Cooked down a Walla Walla Sweet onion with a small can of diced green chilies. Added home made taco seasoning and the smoked turkey burger.

Taco Seasoning:

1 Tbsp. Chili powder
1/4 tsp. Garlic powder
1/4 tsp. Onino powder
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. Mexican oregano
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 1/2 tsp. Ground Cummin
1 tsp. salt (optional)
1 tsp. Black pepper (optional)
1/8 tsp. white pepper (optional)

This is enough seasoning for 1 pound of meat.

49612111092_829e1eeb23_c.jpg

49611337448_d3ce8953d9_c.jpg

49611855851_64993b7b25_c.jpg

49612112987_135c90c429_c.jpg

Enjoy!!!!!

Looks good Case! I keep forgetting about making tortilla bowls, it’s one of the things I’d like to incorporate in our meals...just keep forgetting about it.

Nice looking taco bowls! Love the use of the previously cold smoked meets. We do this often when the weather permits. LIKE!

Great write up Case!
And the taco salad was better Looking than any Mexican restaurant we have been in.
Al

Looks good Case! I keep forgetting about making tortilla bowls, it’s one of the things I’d like to incorporate in our meals...just keep forgetting about it.

Thank you! We were making a ton of them during the summer and then I too forgot about them. We'll be putting them back into our weekly line up again. They make good dip containers too!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky