Cold Smoked Salmon!! Q-view of course

Discussion in 'Fish' started by bratrules, Nov 25, 2011.

1. bratrules

bratrules Smoking Fanatic

Well i have been dying to make some cold smoked salmon for a long time now but with out the means to cold smoke and no funds to buy a cold smoking unit it was impossible till now. Thanks to smokingmeatforums.com and Todd for providing me with a AMNPS as a prize for the Oct. throw-down.

Anyway this is what I came up with. I dry cured the Salmon for about 14 hours for a 2 pound piece with

1/4 cup kosher salt

1/4 cup table sugar

1 tablespoon black pepper

2 teaspoons paprika

2 teaspoons Cayenne pepper

a bunch of chopped fresh dill.

After curing it i washed it and left it to dry overnight in the fridge then the next morning i loaded the AMNPS with cherry wood and let it smoke for 8 hours at around 75 degrees. BTW i used less than half of the pellets!! damn this thing work good thanks Todd once again. I also smoked a one pound piece of Cheddar for 2 hours.

[​IMG]

After Curing for 14 hours or so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also did some hot smoked salmon cause my wife isn't really in to cold smoke salmon

[​IMG]

2. pops6927

pops6927 Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Wow! Great looking results!  Very nice color on all the pieces!  Hot smoking it, did you just add heat and let the AMNPS continue to do its magic and not add anything to your chip tray?  Excellent Qview!

3. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

The salmon looks delicious! It's a big favorite around here, cold or hot smoked!

4. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

yummy it looks great love it

5. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks real good from here, Brat !!!

Bear

6. Gotta love that smoked Salmon. I know I do.

It all looks great Brat

Happy Smokin'

Mike

7. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Smoked salmon rocks. I have 8 fillets going into the smoker today. I can' t wait.

8. scubadoo97

scubadoo97 Smoking Fanatic

Looks real nice.

I just cold smoked a couple of pieces of salmon I had purchased for dinner with friends that fell through last Sunday.  I tossed the fillets in a 20% brine for 16 hrs, refreshed for 1 hour and rested in the fridge to dry for a day.  Cold smoked it 3 days ago and have been indulging on lox and bagels for the last few days.  Great for a late brunch on these days I don't have to work.

9. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I have been wanting to try Lox ever since Smoking Al posted his recipe/results a while back. I had never heard of it until I read that post. I need to give that a try.

10. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Way to Go!!!

Great Way To Break In Your New AMNPS!!!

Todd

11. bratrules

Well pops i actually did the hot smoking the next day after making the lox. i just removed some of the pellets from the AMNPS since i wasnt going to be hot smoking for such a long time. then i i started the AMNPS up again and smoked the salmon at 175 for 1 hour then i bumped up the heat to 225 for another hour and a half. and i just smoked it with pellets i didn't load up my smoker with chips. i didn't need to with the AMNPS smoking away. And i still have pellets left over lol man i love this thing!!!!

12. bratrules

Yeah Todd it took me a few tries to turn it on but once it got going it was all good!!!

13. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Very nice!!

Craig

14. steamaway

steamaway Smoke Blower

very nice. I think I am tackling salmon next. 

15. so ms smoker

so ms smoker Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Great looking salmon!  I also recently purchased the AMNPS and it is awesome!

Mike

16. owlcreeksmoker4

owlcreeksmoker4 Smoking Fanatic Group Lead

Great looking salmon!

17. wan2smoke

wan2smoke Fire Starter

That all looks amazing!

I can't wait for my Cold Smoke attachment to do the Lox(Cold smoked salmon). I am going to be doing some regular smoked salmon and halibut this next weekend. Should be fun!

18. bratrules

Man this stuff is so good i just had a piece and it taste just like butter!!! i think am going to have to make some bagels to go along with it!!!!

19. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Brat...The Salmon looks good but I really want yo see your BAGEL Recipe!...JJ

20. bratrules

Sure as soon i a remember it lol i haven't made the for a long time now. but am sure i can figure it out!! and as soon as i do i'll post them.