COLD SMOKED CHEESE SECOND TRY (PICS FOR YOUR REVIEW)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 1, 2019
Southeast Mississippi
Well, the second time around was successful. Thanks for all of the advice. It made a huge difference, especially my fire. I now get it! Not about any heat, just smooth nice smoke. Thanks again for all the help. First of all, I picked up some Pepper Jack, Sharp Cheddar, Medium Cheddar and Colby Jack. Built my "small" fire. 5 briquettes and small pieces of apple wood. Next time I will use 1 briquette. Put em on and hooked up the ChefAlarm. Temps never got above 69 degrees. The smoke was the "GOOD" smoke. Took off after 4 hours. ZERO melt. They are smoky but not like yesterday with that horrible stinky rancid smell. Today the cheese had a strong, but pleasant smell. As many have stated, a couple of weeks in the refrigerator and they will mellow out. Vacum packed the blocks and placed in the fridge for a long sleep. Fun day today and again thanks for all the advise. PICS are attached.
SMALL FIRE.jpg
SECOND TRY.jpg
GOOD APPLE SMOKE.jpg
TWO HOURS IN.jpg
ZERO MELT.jpg

Hawg the cheese looks really good. Is your top vent closed?

Point for sure.

Chris

Reactions: Hawging It
I would make a single change....
Your cover for your stack, I would open that so you get the "old" smoke out.
The smoke lingers long enough just drifting around. So it doesn't need held inside your smoker.
But hey! Lookit what you did!
Beautiful results now!
Congratulations, Take a Bow, and proudly add a Cold Smoking Feather to your cap!

Looking good!

Some of us let our cheeses go for months, sometimes even years sealed up. I'll tell you now, get another batch (or 3) in the works because once you crack into that cheese you're going to wish you did :-) especially the longer you let it sit.

Looking good!

Some of us let our cheeses go for months, sometimes even years sealed up. I'll tell you now, get another batch (or 3) in the works because once you crack into that cheese you're going to wish you did :-) especially the longer you let it sit.

That is good advice right there.
When a bacon comes out of the cure, it's time for me to start another.
Got to keep ahead of the demand.

I would make a single change....
Your cover for your stack, I would open that so you get the "old" smoke out.
The smoke lingers long enough just drifting around. So it doesn't need held inside your smoker.
But hey! Lookit what you did!
Beautiful results now!
Congratulations, Take a Bow, and proudly add a Cold Smoking Feather to your cap!
Sure will and thanks for the kind words.

Looking good!

Going to buy more cheese in the morning and smoke more tomorrow. Had already decided to do more smokes. Need some in reserve!. Any cheese that "you" like best that is different from the normal stuff people smoke.

I've found in my experience, the "plain" cheeses are most complimented by smoke. Swiss, cheddar, gouda, etc.

Rather than say "garlic snazzlberry red wine cheddar" or whatever.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky