Coffee Grinder To Make Pellet Dust

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

No Joke Smoke

Original poster
Jul 25, 2019
Monroe,Ohio
Hello All, I've been using a tube for cold smoking cheese and I finally got an A-MAZE-N tray so I can begin to use Pellet Dust. I got the old coffee bean grinder out as we haven't used it for years. I was going to soak some pellets and make dust but thought Id Try the grinder and it worked great.
I just filled the hopper, set on medium grind and let her rip. My wife actually came up with that Idea. Anyway, Give it a try if you have one stashed away.
I can't upload pics for some reason.
TOM

AE6B339E-801E-4546-990A-B9EE21820E5E_1_201_a.jpeg
E9CF8184-CFEA-4F29-AC6A-AF6E92C26FDC_1_201_a.jpeg
6574CBEE-95A6-4410-A65C-A7DD013E71B7_1_201_a.jpeg
B86CC74E-5F3C-4FFC-A40A-997987BBE49A_1_201_a.jpeg

Reactions: geostriata
You know you can use the pellets "as is" in the tray, right? I only use pellets in mine.

I decided to use the tray with dust to lower the heat output and produce a thinner smoke. The tube with pellets produces a huge amount of billowing white smoke in my Treager. And yes, I do know I can use pellets in the tray. I just decided to try the dust as so many here swear it produces a much better smoked cheese. I located a NOS 1960 new in the box mail box I'm going to use and locate a smoker chamber on Craigs list. I think a dedicated cold smoker for cheese and other goodies is the way to go.
TOM

Hello All, I've been using a tube for cold smoking cheese and I finally got an A-MAZE-N tray so I can begin to use Pellet Dust. I got the old coffee bean grinder out as we haven't used it for years. I was going to soak some pellets and make dust but thought Id Try the grinder and it worked great.
I just filled the hopper, set on medium grind and let her rip. My wife actually came up with that Idea. Anyway, Give it a try if you have one stashed away.
I can't upload pics for some reason.
TOM
I'm looking at making dust to put in my tube and found this post. I've got I'm pretty sure the exact same grinder as you had at this point. How long did it last before it burnt out or did you find an alternative method that worked better?

I'm looking at making dust to put in my tube and found this post. I've got I'm pretty sure the exact same grinder as you had at this point. How long did it last before it burnt out or did you find an alternative method that worked better?
I been using a discount store blender for years.

In a ubolt modified tube you'll get about 4-5 hours on a 6" tube and around 9-10 on a 12".On the expanding 12"-18" tube you'll get over 12 hours.

If you're looking for more detailed read click on the link in my signature.

No grinder needed.
Soak them in water a day then drain and dry. They break down to the dust that the factory started with to make a pellet in the first place. Super easy.
That is how I turn pellets into dust as well. No equipment needed; the pellets just turn into what they were to start with ..... dust.

Yup, then I dry them then spread on a cookie sheet (foil lined) and bake in the oven to get all the moisture out.
Ah, fantastic. I'll give that a try too! Thanks!

That being said, I already had the grinder going unused. So it was nice to not wait for a day, but I'm sure your method is better since it gets the moisture out.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcam222
Ah, fantastic. I'll give that a try too! Thanks!

That being said, I already had the grinder going unused. So it was nice to not wait for a day, but I'm sure your method is better since it gets the moisture out.
Plus you can do a 5 gallon bucket at a time and have dust for a long time all for just a day wait.

I'll add that I dry my dust outside on the gasser. Takes a couple hrs but does not smell up the house with wet wood smell. A small bucket full of pellets creates more dust than I can use in a while.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
For what it's worth, I tried both the soak-and-dry method and the method with a coarse burr grinder. I found it much easier to light with the burr grinder method. I think that's due to the coarser grind allowing more air to flow through the fuel. I think I'll continue to do it the burr grinder way. (I have a coffee grinder right on my smoker like a barista, lol)

Reactions: DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky