coconut shell charcoal briquettes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Like all types of briquettes it depends on the brand. Some are nicely compacted and burn like other top quality charcoal briquettes but others are cheap burn very quickly with quite an unpleasant initial smell - and are a waste of time. We have a brand here in the UK (I think they are made in Australia) that are called "Nature". These will compare favourably against any quality briquette and give a good long temperature profile. They also do not give off much smell when initially lit either - unlike some cheaper coconut and charcoal briquettes.

Temperature profile of Nature coconut briquettes compared with Heat Beads charcoal briquettes (Weber briquettes have a similar profile to Heat Beads). In a Weber kettle with 1.5 Kg of briquettes, each gave 8 hours of good cooking temperature (110 C - 230 F)

upload_2019-1-13_10-4-46.png

One thing you will notice is that the coconut briquettes do produce quite a lot of ash - this is because of what they are made from. Providing you have a food space underneath the fire grate for the falling ash this will not be a problem.

Try them. You bay have bought a good brand.

Sorry for long delay in reply.
Harsh winter this year. Spend way too much of my free time moving snow. Then the frigid temps have put smoking out of the picture for some time. Grilling is even a challenge these days. I have pork belly, pork spareribs, pork loin (baby back) ribs, and a beef tenderloin waiting to get caressed by the smoke.

Haven't tried the coconut shell charcoal.
I'm familiar with coconut husk and was wondering it was usable for smoking. I've seen it used for fuel in a fire.

-JE

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky