Cocoa Rib Rub Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin relaxin steve

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
South Jersey
So i was going to check my email this morning and came across this Rub on AOL.... Well it was a rib recipe, but for the oven
PDT_Armataz_01_27.gif
... I find it amusing when people label Recipe's for Ribs w/ "Smoky," but they prepare it in an oven LOL.... the Rub did look interesting enough though... thought i would share it withe SMF...

3 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder

1/4 cup lightly packed dark brown sugar

1/4 cup smoked paprika

2 tablespoons kosher salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 tablespoon dried ancho chile powder

1 tablespoon ground cumin
[*]
I think i might have to give this Rub a try... I like the whole cooking w/ chocolate, so hopefully it will be good... and to give credit where credit is do, here is the link to the recipe http://www.kitchendaily.com/recipe/smoky-bbq-baby-back-ribs-150172

Last edited:
I just saw something on the food channel - Dinners,Drive ins, and Dives, I think where a BBQ place used cocoa in the rub.  Comment on the show was it gives a sweet yet bitter addition to the finished taste.

Ron

Interesting rib rub. What do you mean the ribs will get smokey in the oven. Liquid smoke smokey that is. hahaha
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! You know thats right!

I just saw something on the food channel - Dinners,Drive ins, and Dives, I think where a BBQ place used cocoa in the rub.  Comment on the show was it gives a sweet yet bitter addition to the finished taste.

Ron
Yeah, i have seen it a few times here and there, but never had a chance to try it... Hopefully in the next few weeks i will get around to making a small batch to mess around with...

I have not used it in a rub, but I have used different types of chocolate often in spicy dishes.  It adds a slight contrast and a breadth of flavor.  Mexicans use chocolate in most if not all of the mole recipes I have seen.

This would be interesting to try.  The trick is in the balance of the chocolate with the savory elements.

Good luck and good smoking.

If you are going to put that in the smoker, I would not use the smoked paprika- will be incredibly overpowering on the smoke flavor. Usually when I'm trying new rubs out, I make a super small batch and put it on 3 or 4 ribs or a part of a chicken along with the rest of them being my usual or a few of my usuals on it so that worst case scenario I'm only tossing a little bit, and best case I'm wishing I'd made the whole thing with the new rub!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

I was talking to my wife's hairdresser one day.  He is an avid salmon smoker.  He suggested cocoa powder for pork rubs.

I have some spares trimmings in the freezer.  I think I will give this a shot on them this weekend and report back. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky