Coal Set Up On Small Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ashley.h

Original poster
Jul 10, 2020
London, UK
Hi Everyone,

I have a small charcoal side to my grill the other side being gas fired but both separate compartments.

The charcoal shelf measures around 13x13 inches roughly and I was wondering the best way to cook low and slow with this small space. I have done small pork shoulder and brisket joints which have had mixed success, both coming out great in flavour and a good smoke ring using wood chips but have both been on the tough side, Pork taken off to rest when it hit 200 and the brisket i knew was early as i ran out of time and came off at 180. I have a lot of trouble trying to keep this grill down at the 225-250 mark and with the amount of coals below they seem to ignite rather quick withing about 4 hours sending the temp over 320.

Is there a better way to set coals up on a small grill or am I possibly using too many coals in a small space? I was considering using a starter of around 20 coals and throwing those on the shelf with no other coals and just using them until they dies, then adding a handfull more to keep the temp steady and low rather than using the snake method.

As for the vents. you can see the side vent in the picture then the exhaust vent would be in the top right hand corner above the foil tray. When i light the coals I have both vents open then slowly agust the temps using the bottom side vent. I have had to close the side vent fully today and even open up the door on the from of the grill used to access the coals all the way open and leave it open to hold the temp steady at 280. This seems very extreme to hold the temp down as low as possible so thats why im thinking im using too many coals?

Any words of advice appreciated.
Ash

IMG_3595.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3597.jpg
    IMG_3597.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 8
Too much air.... Try keeping the bottom vent fully closed.... Opening 1/8" should be MORE than enough air... Adjust the top vent... that will give oxygen to the meat and keep the coals starving for oxygen...
Also, smoking food like that cuts down on the available oxygen in the smoker.. You may want to add some cure#1 (0.25% rate) to the meats etc. to reduce the risk of botulism....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky