Close call ( peanut allergy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
My youngest son Knox has a peanut allergy. He is 2 1/2 years old. When he was younger ( about the time he started eating solid foods) he had a smal reaction to a peanutbutter cracker. Just a small skin reaction around his lips and a couple spots on his arm. Since then we have had several tests done to confirm what food allergies he has. So far and as far as we know its only peanut. We have been very careful with what we feed him and we have the epipen with us or with Knox at all time. (They are not cheap) we have 4 of them. One in a bag we take with us. One at each of the grandparents and an extra at home.
Yesterday morning he had a check up with his doctor. Just the normal 6 month checkup. It was at 9:30am. Afterwards his mom (Ivy) and his grandparents went to a smoothie shop in town that opened up this summer. They have all kinds of healthy smoothies with added greens or proteins. Lots of fruits to choose from...im not really into that stuff but its a pretty cool place and seems to be doing well. Ivy got a cookies and cream smoothie to share with Knox. She said he only had a few drinks of it and didnt want any more. They left and Ivy went to work and the grandparents took Knox back home with them. With in minutes Knox had welts on his arms and legs and was throwing up. They called Ivy and asked what to do. She immediate said give him the epipen and call 911. They did. By the time the emergency squad showed up his whole body was swollen with huge welts that looked like hives. They rushed him to the emergency room and started some meds right away. I got there from work right as they got him into a room. (I found out just how fast my car would go yesterday). We were released about 6 hours later and Knox was ok. Miserable and itchy but he was ok.

After trying to figure out what had caused it and some phone calls we figured out that the people that made an order right before them at the smoothie shop had ordered a smoothie with peanutbutter in it. A small amount must have cross contaminated to Ivys drink that knox had a few drinks of. That very small trace amount of peanut is what triggered the reaction. If it weren't for the epipen and a fast reaction things could have been very bad. But he is home and doing great. Thank God everything went ok. I'm pretty sure some more beard hair turned grey yesterday!

Wow, what a scare Travis, happy to hear he's on the mend. I'm always alert to tell people that I give my hipshot burgers to that there's a small amount of SPC in them, bean and peanut allergy reactions can be extremely serious. RAY

Reactions: Sowsage
Your family handled this and was prepared for this perfectly. I’m so glad the grandparents had an epipen and were willing to use it!
I’m a pediatrician and unfortunately not everyone is prepared as y’all. Somethimes folks are scared or unwilling to use the epipen and wait for EMS to arrive.
Again, great job!

Edit: Don’t forget to get the Epipen refilled!

Last edited:
Damn man . Good thing everybody was on the ball , and knew what to do .
Glad all are ok .

Glad he's ok Travis. My niece had the death peanut allergy. Once she got into her teens her doctor started giving her micro doses of peanuts over the course of a couple years. She's 19 and no longer allergic to nuts. Might be something to talk to your doctor about in the future as knox gets older

That's scary man. I found out how fast my car would go when my daughter fell down the steps a couple years ago and her arm was pointing the wrong direction. Glad he is ok and you guys knew what to do. Happy Thanksgiving.

Jeez, that's creepy Travis. Thank God for the quick reactions and that he's ok. Also, great planning on the part of you and Ivy having the epipen where needed so it was immediately available.

Robert

Glad your son is doing ok. Our son has an allergy to peanuts and tree nuts, we an epipen and a bottle of benadryl with us. Hes 18 now and knows to ask whats in something when its offered to him.

Glad he's ok Travis. My niece had the death peanut allergy. Once she got into her teens her doctor started giving her micro doses of peanuts over the course of a couple years. She's 19 and no longer allergic to nuts. Might be something to talk to your doctor about in the future as knox gets older
I've heard of this too. M&M peanuts become like pills. You need to remember to take some small number daily to keep from getting sensitized again.
Just glad for you, Travis, that you and yours have one more thing to be thankful for tomorrow!

Reactions: Sowsage and TNJAKE
Wow! Glad everything turned out well.
Thanks Jim.
WOW!
That is scary!
Thank God it turned out well & he is OK!
Al
Thanks Al
Wow, what a scare Travis, happy to hear he's on the mend. I'm always alert to tell people that I give my hipshot burgers to that there's a small amount of SPC in them, bean and peanut allergy reactions can be extremely serious. RAY
Thanks RAY. Its crazy how serious some allergys can be.
Your family handled this and was prepared for this perfectly. I’m so glad the grandparents had an epipen and were willing to use it!
I’m a pediatrician and unfortunately not everyone is prepared as y’all. Somethimes folks are scared or unwilling to use the epipen and wait for EMS to arrive.
Again, great job!

Edit: Don’t forget to get the Epipen refilled!
Thanks! I wanted to make sure everyone knew how to use the epipen and would always have one available! Not worth risking.
Damn man . Good thing everybody was on the ball , and knew what to do .
Glad all are ok .
Thanks chop! The grandparents were a bit shook up but they did great.

Oh My GOD!!!!!!!!! I got chillbumps and almost tears reading that. Thank you God for taking care of that precious soul. Thank you for telling us this story and on this Thanksgiving and any day- --we give thanks to all that helped him ! Count your blessings!

Step daughter has peanut allergy also.
it's crazy how many people have a nut allergy!
Thanks Jake. I'll deffinatly bring this up with the doc on his follow up. Maybe that will be an option for him down the road.
Wow!!
Talk about Scary!!!
So Glad He's ok, Thanks to preparedness!!!

Bear
Thanks Bear, I'm so glad we made sure what to do if this situation would ever occur. Can never be too prepared!
That's scary man. I found out how fast my car would go when my daughter fell down the steps a couple years ago and her arm was pointing the wrong direction. Glad he is ok and you guys knew what to do. Happy Thanksgiving.
Thanks man, its funny how you kick into "super dad mode" in these situations. I dropped everything when I got the text from Ivy. Including leaving a customer waiting in my office!
Jeez, that's creepy Travis. Thank God for the quick reactions and that he's ok. Also, great planning on the part of you and Ivy having the epipen where needed so it was immediately available.

Robert
Thanks Robert ! i hate to think how this would have turned out if we were not prepared.

That's a little too close. Glad everything worked out.
The epipen worked and was available. They might be expensive, but well worth the cost.
Gary
Thanks Gary! And your right. Seems like a small amount of money when you consider the alternative. I'm glad we got the extra ones for the grandparents......
That was close call. Glad to hear that he is doing better.
Thank you! Today he is doing great today!
Glad your son is doing ok. Our son has an allergy to peanuts and tree nuts, we an epipen and a bottle of benadryl with us. Hes 18 now and knows to ask whats in something when its offered to him.
Thanks Kevin! The epipen is like our american express credit card.....never leave home without it!
I've heard of this too. M&M peanuts become like pills. You need to remember to take some small number daily to keep from getting sensitized again.
Just glad for you, Travis, that you and yours have one more thing to be thankful for tomorrow!
Thanks Bill, yep very thankfull!!

Oh My GOD!!!!!!!!! I got chillbumps and almost tears reading that. Thank you God for taking care of that precious soul. Thank you for telling us this story and on this Thanksgiving and any day- --we give thanks to all that helped him ! Count your blessings!
Millberry, Thank you! Yes thank God ! There were many prayers going out for him and we are very thankful for all that helped him yesterday!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky