Cleanup in the field/@competition

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigred77

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 14, 2015
Texas Hill Country
Anybody have any tricks or product they use to make cleanup easy away from home?
I usually have water available, but almost would prefer some type of food safe wet wipe I could use to easily wipe down knives, cutting boards, hands and arms, etc.

Anyone know of something like that, or have any tips for cleanup in the field?

A hose end sprayer and rag on the tailgate gets old during the cold months

They will sanitize whatever you are cleaning but will need to be rinsed with hot water in between sanitizing and re-using on food
We use them at comps. At most comps we've been in hot water station was a requirement. So never been a issue

I like Clorox wipes too and we have a spray bottle of Clorox "Clean Up" liquid.
A bottle of hand santizer
A Campro coffee server, it keeps water hot a long time, and has a locking spigot.
Disposable cutting boards
Disposable foil "drip size" pans for brisket or pork dunking liquid, and sauce for dunking chicken
1/4 size foil pans for holding leftovers or butter bath chicken
Single use gloves, nitrile gloves, knit glove liners
2.5 gallon zipper bags to hold anything I don't want to wash, these go in a separate plastic container.

This is what I use when I make sausage or break down large cuts of meat . Love this stuff . Has been hard to get , but saw it at GFS the other day . I spray it on everything .
20200420_123039.jpg

Reactions: Bearcarver
BSL (bio safety lab) standards prescribe simple water/bleach solutions of no more than 6:1 will do the trick. These commercial products are probably all fine, but you can make your own in a cheap spray bottle. Knives, handtools, etc can be sprayed and safely thrown in a plastic tub for washing later. Surfaces? Spray and wipe and you're good. Good for hands too. Then grab the steering wheel and go home.

I thought the discussion might turn to getting rid of ash and still-burning embers. But if you have plenty of water (any temp) it's hard to argue a slurry of water and ash will flare up. Good use for dirty throwaway cooking pans too.

Reactions: bigred77
A couple TBS of Clorox in an empty Windex type bottle and good'ol H2o works as good or better than anything else on the market that and plenty of paper towels is my go too. No need to rinse things just wipe them clean, and they are ready to use the next time you need them.

Reactions: bigred77
2 TBS bleach in a 23 oz bottle is only a 1:22 ratio. I'd recommend 4x that amount of commercial bleach.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky