Cleaning the pot, Scrapping the pan, It's got to be done!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
So for a while now I have been experimenting using these to clean my cast Iron:

So far they are one of the best things I've found to get the stuck stuff off when it happens. A bit of hot water and these guys knocks out the crud quickly. Same goes for cleaning a pizza stone.

Reactions: nimrod
I just use a metal spatula or a scrubbie (no soap).

Is that bad for the cast iron?

Al

Last edited:
I've been using boiling water and a metal spatula The ones you have I use one of them as a dough scraper

Richie 

When my plastic spatulas get a little rough, or burned, and don't slide under my fried eggs easily, I cut the handle off, and shape the flat part as a scraper. Kitchen shears make quick work of the job.

To scrub off stubborn, stuck on gunk, I use a spoonful of Kosher salt on a nylon scrubbie. It will remove burnt on BBQ sauce, but not remove the patina. As a bonus, it's a " food grade" cleaning solution. I also use Kosher salt to scrub my wood or nylon cutting boards. It works as a mild abrasive, and a sterilizing agent.

Last edited:
I treat my cast iron like teflon, and try not to put any scratches in the finish. Some of my skillets and griddles are "enameled" with a baked on finish that has developed over decades of use, and are very slick, so I avoid metal utensils. One of my sons said he'd rather inherit my cast iron collection, than my guns. I was flattered, but told him not to rush me. LOL.

Last edited:
I've been cooking on cast iron for the majority of my cooking for the past few years. I don't use it for boiling water, frying eggs or making sauces, but I do for just about everything else. For cleaning I use sections of stainless chain mail. It works incredible. I have a few of them. The best one I have is the brand "The Ringer" I know it sounds a little off, but it is one of the best things I have ever bought for cooking. I tried the brush, the salt, a metal spatula. The chain mail makes it so easy. I prefer the finer smaller rings, they scrub a little better. I cant recommend it enough. They come in handy for other cooked on messes too. 

I've been cooking on cast iron for the majority of my cooking for the past few years. I don't use it for boiling water, frying eggs or making sauces, but I do for just about everything else. For cleaning I use sections of stainless chain mail. It works incredible. I have a few of them. The best one I have is the brand "The Ringer" I know it sounds a little off, but it is one of the best things I have ever bought for cooking. I tried the brush, the salt, a metal spatula. The chain mail makes it so easy. I prefer the finer smaller rings, they scrub a little better. I cant recommend it enough. They come in handy for other cooked on messes too. 
I've been eyeballing that chainmail! Not surprised it works so well for cast iron. I'll have to try that when things are stuck on real bad. Otherwise I use the plastic scraper as originally posted and sometimes a nylon brush, The ones I got were from Pampered Chef I think. I'm real picky about my cast iron cleaning as well, and stopped using metal as well. The seasoning seems to hold up better now that I stopped. Now if I can convince my other half to stop cooking her scrambled eggs in it!

I just put mine in the dishwasher...  
hit.gif

Ok, I use kosher salt and a scotchbrite pad when it's really bad, but usually boiling the PI55 out of it and getting busy with a spatula works for normal stuff.

Those scrappers look interesting.

Mine are really pretty good and it takes very little to get stuff out. It's only every once in a while that I need an extra bit of something. The discada is so  good that all it takes is water and a cloth rag or the sauce mop that I use for cleaning it. Flax seed oil makes everything nice!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky